The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Heres one that happened last year in our area. Team A inbounds ball under B's basket, full court pressure is on and A1 turns and shoots ball at B's basket. While in the act of shooting B1 fouls A1 and ball goes in after the whistle sounds. What do you do? I'll post later what happened and then what we decided in our association meeting should have happened.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

This situation has come up several times on this board, and here is my paraphrase of what the consensus has been in other cases.

A1 is not shooting a try, since (by rule) a try can only be at one's own basket.

Because A1 is not shooting a try, continuous motion does not apply, and this is not a "shooting foul."

Therefore, the ball becomes dead on the whistle, and the basket does not count. If A is in the bonus, A1 will shoot FT's (at his own basket) for the common foul - otherwise A gets the spot throw-in under the basket (okay, not right under, but you know what I mean).

B1, of course, gets chewed out by the coach.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 10:31pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
This situation has come up several times on this board, and here is my paraphrase of what the consensus has been in other cases.

A1 is not shooting a try, since (by rule) a try can only be at one's own basket.

Because A1 is not shooting a try, continuous motion does not apply, and this is not a "shooting foul."

Therefore, the ball becomes dead on the whistle, and the basket does not count. If A is in the bonus, A1 will shoot FT's (at his own basket) for the common foul - otherwise A gets the spot throw-in under the basket (okay, not right under, but you know what I mean).

B1, of course, gets chewed out by the coach.
Good job, Mark!
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Which coach should get more angry.??? Team a's for having a player shot the wrong way, or team b for having a player foul during an try(yes technically i know its not a try.

keep smiling
SH
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC

Which coach should get more angry.??? Team a's for having a player shot the wrong way, or team b for having a player foul during an try(yes technically i know its not a try.

keep smiling
SH
No foul - team A's coach, because team B scored an easier 2 than a 5 on 0 fast break.

Foul - team B's coach, because team B lost two easy points, and (possibly) gave A the chance to score 2 - a 4 point turnaround.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by co2ice
Heres one that happened last year in our area. Team A inbounds ball under B's basket, full court pressure is on and A1 turns and shoots ball at B's basket. While in the act of shooting B1 fouls A1 and ball goes in after the whistle sounds. What do you do? I'll post later what happened and then what we decided in our association meeting should have happened.
It seems like this post keeps popping up at least once a week!

A1 is not in the act of shooting. You can only shoot at your own basket. There is no basket. A gets the ball OOB or A1 gets FT's if A is in the bonus.

Please tell us that it was handled this way. Even more importantly, tells us that your association feels that this is the proper call. It sounds like somebody may have made a mistake.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Yes our association does feel it should have been handled as the posts indicate. However, the officials at the game had no idea what to do so they counted the basket for B and allowed 2 free throws by A1(at A's proper basket)the reasoning was A was in the "act of shooting". Sorry to keep rehashing old material, some of us haven't been on as long as others.(Even if we are old dogs!)I do wish all officials had access to this site, I feel my game has improved because of it, thanks to all who contribute!!!!!!
Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 11:39am
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

If you have trouble remembering this concept, just think of the title of your post: "Shot at opponents basket". There is no such thing.