The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Situation happen several years agi in a game I witness.
Team A trails by 1 and fouls Team B with one second left
Team B shoots the first one and misses the second one is also miss and glances of the rim and out of bounds with no one touching it. The horn sounds Refs look up and see no time left and head off the court. Team A coachs is upset and timer agrees that time should not have started. Both teams huddle by coaches while Tournment Adminstraor heads off to get the officials he comes back and says refrees refuse to come back and he calls the game over. Nothing really ever come of this What would you have done in this situation??
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 07:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Smoke
Situation happen several years agi in a game I witness.
Team A trails by 1 and fouls Team B with one second left
Team B shoots the first one and misses the second one is also miss and glances of the rim and out of bounds with no one touching it. The horn sounds Refs look up and see no time left and head off the court. Team A coachs is upset and timer agrees that time should not have started. Both teams huddle by coaches while Tournment Adminstraor heads off to get the officials he comes back and says refrees refuse to come back and he calls the game over. Nothing really ever come of this What would you have done in this situation??
If I was whom? If I was one of the officials, I would never have left the floor because there was an obvious timing error. We would have put one second back on the clock and given the ball to team A on a spot throwin. If I was either coach A or coach B, I would go home and down a cold one because, since I was a coach, I wouldn't know what the proper rule was anyway.

If I was the Tournament Administrator, I would join the coaches.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

They were wrong to leave the floor since there was an obvious timing error.

By rule, they were correct in not returning to the floor. When they left the floor, the final score was approved and the game was over.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Smile If I am Team A's Coach....

I get my .357 and stalk the officials who blew that call. Then I go after Mark Padgett for his insulting remark about me as a "know nothing" coach.... Just kidding

Yes, Officials were wrong to leave the court. Once they are off the court (out of the visible confines) the game is over.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Yes they were wrong-dead wrong! Who is in charge of the clock? The timer or the trail official? It's an obvious answer but the correction should have been done by the official immediately. And time put back on the clock.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

By rule, they were correct in not returning to the floor. When they left the floor, the final score was approved and the game was over.
I'd make the arguement that they can come back.

When does the juridstiction end? 2-2-4 says the final score is approved when the officials leave the visual confines. However, I believe that in this case, the game didn't end (because the clock didn't properly start there should be 1 second left on the game clock) and this is just a (rather stupid) momentary stoppage as in 2-2-3.

Closest case book reference I can find is 5.10.1A where the game horn sounds inappropriately after a missed FT. I liken the situation to a last second whistle, the clock stops with time on it, then the horn sounds for subs, etc. I've had people think it was the end of the period in those cases, but it is not.

I believe that in this case, one second still exists in the game whether it shows on the clock or not.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 10:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

When does the juridstiction end? 2-2-4 says the final score is approved when the officials leave the visual confines. However, I believe that in this case, the game didn't end (because the clock didn't properly start there should be 1 second left on the game clock) and this is just a (rather stupid) momentary stoppage as in 2-2-3.

Closest case book reference I can find is 5.10.1A where the game horn sounds inappropriately after a missed FT. I liken the situation to a last second whistle, the clock stops with time on it, then the horn sounds for subs, etc. I've had people think it was the end of the period in those cases, but it is not.

I believe that in this case, one second still exists in the game whether it shows on the clock or not.
Life isn't always fair, is it?
mick
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

It doesn't work like that Mark. If the clock is at 0:00, the horn has sounded, and the officials have left the visual confines, then the timing error doesn't exist and the game is over.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Life isn't always fair, is it?
mick
Referring to her score on a term paper, a classmate once made the mistake of telling our 11th grade English teacher, Ms. Tillman, "That's not fair." To which Ms. Tillman bellowed, "Who said life was fair!?!"

I've never forgotten that.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

My English teacher has a phrase to that effect:

"Everything will be simpler/easier once you realize that the world revolves around me." - used to shut kids up who complain about grades, treatment, etc.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

But my wife doesn't teach English!
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 11:34pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Well, then

Quote:

She must've gone to Chapel Hill.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Re: Well, then

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

She must've gone to Chapel Hill.
We have a saying down here.

"If you can't go to school, go to State."

NC State, Mich. State, it doesn't matter.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

The officials were obviously wrong, but in their defense, maybe they did not know the time on the clock. In that situatuion I always look at the clock so that I know what time was up, but maybe they didn't. It sounds like they were lazy, but if they didn't know there was only 1 sec left, how could they correct it?
Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
The officials were obviously wrong, but in their defense, maybe they did not know the time on the clock. In that situatuion I always look at the clock so that I know what time was up, but maybe they didn't. It sounds like they were lazy, but if they didn't know there was only 1 sec left, how could they correct it?
Hopefully the timer isn't a complete idiot, and would have some realization of what he did.