Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by davidw
Juulie, very interesting bit of info, one I will file away and try to remind myself when I sometimes find myself a little overboard in many of my conversations about how little the other participant knows about the several topics we are attempting to discuss in great depth.
Great post!!
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

Camp nothin'! A guy did it in a STATE FINAL out here 2 seasons ago. He shouted block too. We dubbed it the "I'm a little teapot" signal.
Which game was it? I don't remember that and I know it wasn't me! I'm sure someone brought this up at one of our postgame "meetings."

[Edited by tomegun on May 5th, 2004 at 08:59 AM]
It wasn't you, but it was your game! And let me tell you, we've had a lot of fun reminding your partner about it for 2 years now at those post game "meetings."

Although, last year he called BI from the Lead and that got him even more grief.
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 05:00am
Huck Finn

Nevada, I thought about it yesterday and I do remember it. It was the shorter/smaller of my partners right? He is the one that said he would have no problem with the coach. Those are the sorts of things we laugh about after the game but just try to get by as quickly as possible during the game.
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nevadaref
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by tomegun
[B]
Quote:

Although, last year he called BI from the Lead and that got him even more grief.
Was he right?

My two sense!
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
and out of about 250 people, no two rankings were exactly the same. NONE.
Out of those 250 people, how many agreed that "NONE" named the least amount possible?
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
and out of about 250 people, no two rankings were exactly the same. NONE.
Out of those 250 people, how many agreed that "NONE" named the least amount possible?
None, and all weren't on the list. I don't remember what they all were, but they were all vague or general.
Old Fri May 07, 2004, 11:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Hey, Rook and Rut, here's an interesting fact. Almost no one agrees with anyone else about the meanings of the general quantity words. I saw a study where people were asked to rank about twenty quantity words -- like few, some, many, several, etc -- from biggest to smallest. and out of about 250 people, no two rankings were exactly the same. NONE. And none of the words was in the same position on every single response. So your "some" and "most" might be a lot closer together than you think.
When I say most, I mean more that 50%. If you take my state as an example. The officials that work the post season are a small percentage of all the officials in the entire state. Out of those officials, there will be several that will not know how to calm down a coach or handle their rant to where it does not result in a T. So as a result, the T totals will go up. And just like said before, a lot of this has to deal with what the coach does as well. It is not all in the lap of the official. But if the official handles it right, he or she can easily squash the situation.

Peace
Whether or not the T numbers go up, this will force officials to improve their communications skills. Or they won't be working top level games. Sounds good to me.

--Rich

PS - We worked some HS games tableside last season (I guess we're ahead of our time). And for us, it worked out better. Never had to try to communicate across the floor and officials were always able to talk calmly to coaches.
Old Fri May 07, 2004, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

officials were ALWAYS able to talk calmly to coaches
Hmmmm Rich...so, through deductive reasoning, we might say that NONE of the officials had a problem with communicating tableside.
Rut says MOST...Rich implies NONE...Dan says SOME will have a problem communicating.
Maybe it's just the area we are in.
Richland, WA
Old Fri May 07, 2004, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

officials were ALWAYS able to talk calmly to coaches
Hmmmm Rich...so, through deductive reasoning, we might say that NONE of the officials had a problem with communicating tableside.
Rut says MOST...Rich implies NONE...Dan says SOME will have a problem communicating.
Maybe it's just the area we are in.
If you ask Juulie she'll tell you that SOME could be more or less NONE and MOST could be more or less ALL.

Or thereabouts...

Old Sat May 08, 2004, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Quote:

Was he right?
Actually, no. I have the videotape to prove it. The ball had rebounded forward and was fully in front of the rim, but still higher than 10ft. when the kid tapped it in. But the C called it too, so the coach bought it. My buddy was the C on this play, which is the only reason that I have looked at the tape.

And for tomegun,
Yep. That's the guy. I'll also add that this was my finger on the horn game!