The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 03:57pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
What if a player picks up his dribble with one foot on the ground, jumps off that foot, lands on both feet simultaneously?
That's a jump stop. The player can then lift either or both feet to shoot or pass, but if one of the lifted feet then touches the floor again before the ball is released it is a travel.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Quote:
What if a player picks up his dribble with one foot on the ground, jumps off that foot, lands on both feet simultaneously?
That's a jump stop. The player can then lift either or both feet to shoot or pass, but if one of the lifted feet then touches the floor again before the ball is released it is a travel.
PA Coach knows that already. He's just using that thar Socratic method somebody else was talking about.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

just the answer I wanted to hear because some officials I work with claim there is a step count...

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by aucella
A1 is dribbling the ball on a drive to the basketball how many steps is he allowed to complete the drive once he picks up his dribble before it is cosidered traveling by HS rules
The travelling rule doesn't consider "steps"

It's travelling if the pivot foot is lifted and then returned to the floor before the ball is released.

Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 08:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
PA Coach knows that already. He's just using that thar Socratic method somebody else was talking about.
What's this have to do with Greek socks?
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
If you saw my previous uninformed post on the jump stop, please disregard it. A "jump stop" is when a player lands on both feet simultaneously. Whether or not the player can pivot is determined by what his action was when the dribble ended prior to landing. For a good explanation, see the NCAA February, 2004 Men's Basketball Officiating update at: http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/baske...202update.html

Although this is an NCAA guideline, I think the explanation is clearer than anything else I've seen on the jump stop technique and how the official should determine whether or not a violation has occurred.

[Edited by Jimgolf on Apr 29th, 2004 at 10:06 AM]
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf

If you saw my previous uninformed post on the jump stop, please disregard it. A "jump stop" is when a player lands on both feet simultaneously. Whether or not the player can pivot is determined by what his action was when the dribble ended prior to landing. For a good explanation, see the NCAA February, 2004 Men's Basketball Officiating update at: http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/baske...202update.html

Although this is an NCAA guideline, I think the explanation is clearer than anything else I've seen on the jump stop technique and how the official should determine whether or not a violation has occurred.

[Edited by Jimgolf on Apr 29th, 2004 at 10:06 AM] [/B]
Glad to see some specific guidelines for this call. There have been some raging debates on some of the coaching forums.

Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 12:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by IBHookin43
Glad to see some specific guidelines for this call. There have been some raging debates on some of the coaching forums.

Fascinating.