Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Re: Overruling another official: My own experience

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Chuck -- I was figuring that the ball went out on the endline, but the last touch was clear back above the key, maybe. Eric was trail and saw the last touch clearly, partner couldn't possibly have.
Certainly possible, Juulie. But even if that's the way it happened, it was still Eric's partner's call to make. If Eric was sure that the call was incorrect, then he can go to the partner and tell him what he saw. But I hope he didn't make this OOB call (if that's even what it was) from the Trail position, and then get upset when his partner correctly made the call on his own line.

Eric, care to shed some light?
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Chuck -- I was figuring that the ball went out on the endline, but the last touch was clear back above the key, maybe. Eric was trail and saw the last touch clearly, partner couldn't possibly have.
Certainly possible, Juulie. But even if that's the way it happened, it was still Eric's partner's call to make. If Eric was sure that the call was incorrect, then he can go to the partner and tell him what he saw. But I hope he didn't make this OOB call (if that's even what it was) from the Trail position, and then get upset when his partner correctly made the call on his own line.

Eric, care to shed some light?
You're right, of course. I was thinking of my own experience where I would reflexively make a call that was technically not mine. Eric's situation is the hardest to get right, in my opinion -- it's completely anti-instinctive. Assuming the play was as you and I have been discussing it.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 10:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Maybe Eric's play happened on T's sideline by the baseline (right on the corner?) in a two-whistle game.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
And most partners won't offer unsolicited help, either. I mean, they will only make a suggestion if they are asked. What this usually means is that they respect the dignity of the other ref and don't want to belittle their partner or betray their partner's trust by causing others to question his judgment
I disagree Juulie. I will offer unsolicited help if, and only if, I am absolutely, positively certain that I am right. If I believe the call is wrong, its not enough. Furthermore, it is the goal of my partner and myself to get the call right. I would betray my partner’s trust if I was absolutely certain of a call that he made was wrong (I speaking of OOB here, I'd never offer an opinion on a foul/violation call) and I kept my mouth shut. I'll let him know what I saw. If I offer that, then he knows I am sure without a doubt. That is the level of trust most officials I know work with.

BTW, this happens maybe once every 3-5 games.

Quote:
Remember that the partner is going to be wrong as often as the calling official is. Just because the partner sees it going in your favor, doesn't make him smarter! (insert cute smilie here)
Again, seeing it go the other way and being sure enough to say something are very different. If my partner interjects with some information, it's right and I want to hear it.

Quote:
Originally posted by TigerBball
So, I will remain calm on the sidelines knowing I don't know it all. I bet you wish all coaches were as mild mannered as me.
You mean "as mild mannered as I."
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

I had one last weekend. I was Trail and the Lead official blew the whistle for an OOB on his sideline. The ball was traveling away from Lead and since I was properly watching my area, I saw the touch by team A. He called it the way he saw it. I came in and asked him if he wanted any other information. Wisely, he asked me if it was off team A. I told him it was, so he signaled in the other direction. Parents started to yell and the Team A coach said, "get back on D, it was a good call."

Regardless of what A-coach or A-parents said, we got it right and handled it right.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
if I was absolutely certain of a call that he made was wrong (I speaking of OOB here,

You need better partners.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
[QUOTE]Originally posted by footlocker
Quote:
And most partners won't offer unsolicited help, either. I mean, they will only make a suggestion if they are asked. What this usually means is that they respect the dignity of the other ref and don't want to belittle their partner or betray their partner's trust by causing others to question his judgment
I disagree Juulie. I will offer unsolicited help if, and only if, I am absolutely, positively certain that I am right. If I believe the call is wrong, its not enough. Furthermore, it is the goal of my partner and myself to get the call right. I would betray my partner’s trust if I was absolutely certain of a call that he made was wrong (I speaking of OOB here, I'd never offer an opinion on a foul/violation call) and I kept my mouth shut. I'll let him know what I saw. If I offer that, then he knows I am sure without a doubt. That is the level of trust most officials I know work with.

Quote:
Quote:
Remember that the partner is going to be wrong as often as the calling official is. Just because the partner sees it going in your favor, doesn't make him smarter! (insert cute smilie here)
Again, seeing it go the other way and being sure enough to say something are very different. If my partner interjects with some information, it's right and I want to hear it.

Quote:
So, I will remain calm on the sidelines knowing I don't know it all. I bet you wish all coaches were as mild mannered as me.
While I agree with what you say I don't think we should limit ourselves to offering new information to when we are absolutely certain we are right. If you think you saw something your partner did not then go tell him. Only takes a second or 2.
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Hello everyone,
First post to this forum... thought this was as good a topic as any to weigh in on. I work out of a relatively small pool (90% of assignments with same 10 people) in Montana, as such, my knowledge of my partners is thorough and comfort level is pretty high. One of the "understandings" we have is that... if your partner comes over to you and asks "...did you get a good look at that?" That means, there is a pretty good chance that you may have missed something and probably should change it if you have "any" doubt. Basically what I am getting at...is there isn't all that many times (if any?) when you should step in on judgement calls, but when you do, you had better be right. Now, rules interpretations, that is a different story.

In any case, I look forward to future discussions in this forum.
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 02:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by offball
Hello everyone,
First post to this forum... thought this was as good a topic as any to weigh in on. I work out of a relatively small pool (90% of assignments with same 10 people) in Montana, as such, my knowledge of my partners is thorough and comfort level is pretty high. One of the "understandings" we have is that... if your partner comes over to you and asks "...did you get a good look at that?" That means, there is a pretty good chance that you may have missed something and probably should change it if you have "any" doubt. Basically what I am getting at...is there isn't all that many times (if any?) when you should step in on judgement calls, but when you do, you had better be right. Now, rules interpretations, that is a different story.

In any case, I look forward to future discussions in this forum.
offball,
Welcome here.
If my partner comes to me, changing my call is automatic.
If we discuss it, it'll be later... and in private.
mick
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
offball,
Welcome here.
If my partner comes to me, changing my call is automatic.
If we discuss it, it'll be later... and in private.
ditto, 100%.
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
No, I believe "me" is correct.
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 03:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Quote:
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 05:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I feel like a geek for knowing this

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Quote:
Nope, it's "as mild mannered as I." The best way to tell is to realize this is really a truncated sentence. If you finish it, it would be "As mild mannered as I am." "As mild mannered as me is" would sound silly.