Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
It's usually not a "crew" in the true sense of the word, as they put together a crew of the top officials (in their eyes) in the women's game. If they don't usually work together as a crew, you would be trying to guess the way the game will be called without any real basis to know how that group will get together and officiate.

Time is better spent analyzing their opponent
Hardly consistent with the opinion you put forth in our discussion earlier today. IMO.
Completely consistent, IMO. I don't think either coach would have expected that Duke- Uconn crew to officiate the way they did. So what good would it have done to think too much about it? The crew is going to get together a day or so before the game to decide how they are going to work together.

You claimed earlier the earth was knocked off it's axis by 5 deg because the game was not called as expected which lead to confusion among the players & coaches. In other words they anticipated and planned for a particular style of officiating. On the other hand, you say here that there's no use in worrying about the officials and your time is better spent making sure your team is ready to play.

Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

The names of officials for each game aren't released until 30 minutes before tip-off.

Of course, if the a coach or manager happens to see one of the refs around town . . . . They're not sequestered. (The Nat'l. Championship Game officials are, however, prohibited from watching the semi's in person.)
Mark,
Yet again you have provided some wonderfully, interesting tidbit of information on the NCAA officiating process. I can only believe that you ask some of the guys how it is done when you are working the table.
But for the sake of completeness, could you state exactly how you come by this enlightening info?
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 06:17am
Huck Finn

Smile

He might have to kill you if he tells you.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's usually not a "crew" in the true sense of the word, as they put together a crew of the top officials (in their eyes) in the women's game. If they don't usually work together as a crew, you would be trying to guess the way the game will be called without any real basis to know how that group will get together and officiate.

Time is better spent analyzing their opponent
Hardly consistent with the opinion you put forth in our discussion earlier today. IMO.
Completely consistent, IMO. I don't think either coach would have expected that Duke- Uconn crew to officiate the way they did. So what good would it have done to think too much about it? The crew is going to get together a day or so before the game to decide how they are going to work together.

You claimed earlier the earth was knocked off it's axis by 5 deg because the game was not called as expected which lead to confusion among the players & coaches. In other words they anticipated and planned for a particular style of officiating. On the other hand, you say here that there's no use in worrying about the officials and your time is better spent making sure your team is ready to play.
OK, go ahead and take one statement and make it mean something exactly the opposite of what I said. You amaze me. In your strong desire to win another argument, one in which I have conceded we will just disagree, you turn my main point completely opposite of what it was.

I never mentioned anticipate or plan - those are your words in this post only. I said they were accustomed to a certain style of play adopted over all of their games this winter, and that trying to completely change how two teams play defense in response to calls that players can't easily figure out is hard for a single game. If anything, the teams did NOT take time to make a special plan for this group of officials, although I am not sure why they would. I don't think any of the individuals in this group had a previous habit of calling things tight.

I never suggested that they game planned around the officials, in fact I think the opposite. Read what I say, and don't try to make it into what it would have been convenient for me to have said.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

Mark,
Yet again you have provided some wonderfully, interesting tidbit of information on the NCAA officiating process. I can only believe that you ask some of the guys how it is done when you are working the table.
But for the sake of completeness, could you state exactly how you come by this enlightening info?
I worked the men's NCAA tourney when the 1st/2nd rounds were in D.C. a few years back, and got a copy of the tournament handbook. I lost my copy, but they have the PDF's posted online:

http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbook...004/index.html

That's the beauty of the NCAA - just about everything is a PDF somewhere on their website.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Since Barlow, Bell, and Yarbrough worked the semis. My guess for a crew tonight would be the following:

Lisa Mattingly
Dee Kantner
Barb Smith

Alternate: Bryan Enterline
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
Since Barlow, Bell, and Yarbrough worked the semis. My guess for a crew tonight would be the following:

Lisa Mattingly
Dee Kantner
Barb Smith

Enterline was the alternate last year so I think that he will be doing the game toinght
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Good catch smoref. I remembered that fact after I posted this message. Thanks for catching that for me. Actually, I hope Bryan gets the nod this year as I have had the chance to work with Bryan in the past.

Outstanding official and person to work a game with. Really enjoyed working with Bryan.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

I have had a chance to see him work a few games last year and was able to talk with him about philosophy and other things. He really know his stuff and was good to talk with.

I would never have any doubts if he was on any crew.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It's the same alternate for all 3 Final Four games - so you've seen whoever the alternate is already.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good catch smoref. I remembered that fact after I posted this message. Thanks for catching that for me. Actually, I hope Bryan gets the nod this year as I have had the chance to work with Bryan in the past.

Outstanding official and person to work a game with. Really enjoyed working with Bryan.
Absolutely.

Bryan is great at keeping his cool no matter what - possibly the calmest, most collected official I've ever seen (I need to learn quite a bit from him). The whole game can be going to hell, but he stays strong and consistent.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 11:03pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely.

Bryan is great at keeping his cool no matter what - possibly the calmest, most collected official I've ever seen (I need to learn quite a bit from him). The whole game can be going to hell, but he stays strong and consistent.

Bryan, indeed, did get the nod over Barb Smith, and he is very deserving of the assignment. I have known Bryan for over 10 years, and tonight assignment could not have happened to a nicer guy or better official.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 04:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Mark,
I worked the men's NCAA tourney when the 1st/2nd rounds were in D.C. a few years back, and got a copy of the tournament handbook. I lost my copy, but they have the PDF's posted online:

http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbook...004/index.html

That's the beauty of the NCAA - just about everything is a PDF somewhere on their website.
Thanks Mark. Although it took me a while to find what I was after under Appendix O. How appropriate!
Also, if you are talking about those games that were played at the MCI, I was there too, but I didn't have nearly as good of seats as you did.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Also, if you are talking about those games that were played at the MCI, I was there too, but I didn't have nearly as good of seats as you did.
Nor did I pay as much as you probably did.

MCI Center/GT is going to be hosting again in 2006, I believe. If I'm still in town, I'll definately be volunteering again.