Thread: Over and back
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Emjaykay
I have a couple over and back questions that I was hoping someone could answer.

1. If there is a loose ball and an offensive player steps on the half-court line just as he's established possession (the defensive team had the last established possession before the ball was knocked away), is this an over and back violation?

It appears that you are saying that the defense had possession in A's front court and that the ball was knocked away (apparently by A). If that is the case then A cannot be the first to touch it in back court so #1 would be a BC violation. If the ball was last touched by the defense in A's front court, then there was no violation by A. A is determined to be in backcourt when they step on or over the mid-court line.

2. Is merely stepping on the half-court line a violation, or does the ball have to pass over the line as well? I had heard once that if 3 points (2 feet and the ball) have passed over into the frontcourt, 2 of the points have to pass back into the backcourt for there to be a violation.
All 3 over to establish front court position, any 1 in backcourt after that places that player in backcourt.