The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The Sox go from having the SS with the most All-Star votes in the AL -- despite not having played for the first 3 months of the season -- to trading said SS at the last minute before the trading deadline. In return, they get a SS who hits a HR in his first game, but then loses the game by booting a relay throw.

Although I'm sad that Nomar is no longer with the Sox, it really does make good business sense. Nomar took the pursuit of A-Rod very personally and still has hurt feelings. He wasn't going to come back next year, and apparently he told the front office that he might miss up to a third of the team's remaining games b/c of his previous injuries.

I'm disappointed, but my daughter took it in stride. Her analysis was, "I guess I have to be a Cubs fan now."

Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
The Sox go from having the SS with the most All-Star votes in the AL -- despite not having played for the first 3 months of the season -- to trading said SS at the last minute before the trading deadline. In return, they get a SS who hits a HR in his first game, but then loses the game by booting a relay throw.

Although I'm sad that Nomar is no longer with the Sox, it really does make good business sense. Nomar took the pursuit of A-Rod very personally and still has hurt feelings. He wasn't going to come back next year, and apparently he told the front office that he might miss up to a third of the team's remaining games b/c of his previous injuries.

I'm disappointed, but my daughter took it in stride. Her analysis was, "I guess I have to be a Cubs fan now."

Looks like the Sox picked up a game in the standings since trading Nomar.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 10:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Looks like the Sox picked up a game in the standings since trading Nomar.
Yup, magic number is around 50 now, I think.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

So how you like my man Manny now?!?!?! Anybody see his great catch in the bottom of the 6th tonight? If not, check out "Baseball Tonight"; it'll probably be a Web Gem. Anybody who says he isn't working hard, or that he doesn't care just isn't watching. It wasn't the most graceful piece of defense in the world, but he's doing a heck of a job in the outfield this year.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 08:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
... It wasn't the most graceful piece of defense in the world, but he's doing a heck of a job in the outfield this year.
Well, Chuck... I, for one, cannot wait to see such a catch.
mick

Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So how you like my man Manny now?!?!?! Anybody see his great catch in the bottom of the 6th tonight? If not, check out "Baseball Tonight"; it'll probably be a Web Gem. Anybody who says he isn't working hard, or that he doesn't care just isn't watching. It wasn't the most graceful piece of defense in the world, but he's doing a heck of a job in the outfield this year.
Hmmm...didn't find the clip of your man Manny earning his money.

But i found this!

New York 66 38 .635 -
Boston57 47 .548 9.0
Tampa Bay 50 55 .476 16.5
Baltimore 47 57 .452 19.0
Toronto 46 59 .438 20.5

Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Today's AL East summary:
1. Boston leads 4-1 in the 7th, gives up a Grand Slam and loses.
2. NYY trails 6-4 in the 9th, hits a 2-run homer to tie, and another 2-run homer in the 11th to win.

Typical?
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Those that can, do. Those that can't, wind up in 2nd place.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Today's AL East summary:
1. Boston leads 4-1 in the 7th, gives up a Grand Slam and loses.
2. NYY trails 6-4 in the 9th, hits a 2-run homer to tie, and another 2-run homer in the 11th to win.

Typical?
Unfortunately, yes.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2004, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Are the White Sox this bad, or did the Nomar trade make the Red Sox this much better?
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

I guess the White Sox really are that bad. Mick's team sure made 'em look awful last night!

By the way, I thought my Sox might be sneaking up on those Bronx bums, but after last night, I think they've left themselves too much hill to climb in 6 weeks.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess the White Sox really are that bad. Mick's team sure made 'em look awful last night!

By the way, I thought my Sox might be sneaking up on those Bronx bums, but after last night, I think they've left themselves too much hill to climb in 6 weeks.
Coulda been 1978 all over again, this time with Manny popping up to A-Rod at 3rd to end the game.

Who would play this guy?

Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The kid, Jeremy Bonderman, has been struggling all year.
Trammell got the coaches together, and they told Bonderman to throw two pitches (fastball, slider) and to quit thinking.
He did pretty okay.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

With 36 or 37 games remaining and 5.5 to make up, it is certainly possible. Afterall, only the AL and NL West divisions have closer races right now. Think positive!

BTW the Braves sure righted their ship, eh?
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 10:13pm
In Memoriam

Cool Oh, my!

The Red Sox also cut New York's lead in the AL East to 3 1/2 games with the Yankees losing 22-0 to Cleveland. Boston has trimmed seven games from its deficit since Aug. 15.

Fun!

mick