The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 10:02pm
We don't rent pigs

Watch any highlights on ESPNews or whatever and you will almost always see something illegal. A common misconception by the public is "He gets 2 steps." The only way one gets "2 steps" is if he ends his dribble with both feet off the floor. If one is uncertain whether both feet were off the floor or not, the benefit of the doubt should be given. "If it mighta been a travel it wasn't a travel."
BUT when you incorporate a spin into this 2 step move we are discussing it is all but impossible to do it legally, in my opinion.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

When I was coaching our kids sometimes got called for travelling with the 'step through' move. The pivot foot can be lifted if the ball is released prior to the pivot foot returning to the floor on a shot.

Sometimes, it's hard to see the feet in traffic when you are watching contact on the shot.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reffish
As an offical, BktBallRef, we are not looking at the feet of the offensive player. We are refing the defense. Ref the defense. And by the way, we ref the defense. You know that as the experienced official on this site, right? 'k.
I've read some stupid remarks on this board but that one takes the cake, from a rookie poster, no less.

I guess since we're supposed to "ref" the defense, we should get rid of:

Traveling
Stepping out of bounds
3 seconds
BC violations
Double dribble
Palming

I mean, if we're "refing" the defense, then we can't possibly make any of these calls.

Personally, I can see the floor, watch the offensive player and officiate the defense. Maybe you'll be able to some day, too.

Rookie f***ing know-it-all. Is that clear enough for ya?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

And, well, ummm,

Nope. Can't really add much. Pretty much says it all.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by muresan
Try to watch for some spin moves on tv tonight. If you have tivo or are taping a game check it out in slow motion. You'll probably see a sequence like this, 1-dribble, 2-plant left foot, 3- pivot on left foot, 4-land on right foot, 5-land on left foot, 6-jump and shoot. If the dribble comes after the first plant then it's legit, but it rarely does. Amare Stoudemire is playing tonight at 9pm est and he does this move at least twice a game.
I am sorry, I thought we were talking about basketball, not the NBA. 1) They have a different travelling rule and 2) they raely enforce it. We were talking college hoops I thought - if it's NBA, there's no discussion to be had here.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
And, well, ummm,

Some people just really piss me off, my Canadian friend.

Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
Wink

Okay, rookie poster. I can take that. Fair enough. However, every level of instruction that I have received from varsity, D1, and NBA has stressed that need to officiate the defense. I am not saying that I am not aware of the offense and the moves that are applied by the offense. I officiate the defense and monitor the offense. Sorry that I have made you so mad. I will tread lightly next time you are in the room. I sure don't want to offend any vetern poster. That would really put a damper on my officiating. And yes, it is Crystal Clear.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 01:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
However, every level of instruction that I have received from varsity, D1, and NBA has stressed that need to officiate the defense. I am not saying that I am not aware of the offense and the moves that are applied by the offense. I officiate the defense and monitor the offense.

Can you tell us exactly what you mean by "referee the defense" and the mechanics that you use to do so?
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, rookie poster. I can take that. Fair enough. However, every level of instruction that I have received from varsity, D1, and NBA has stressed that need to officiate the defense. I am not saying that I am not aware of the offense and the moves that are applied by the offense. I officiate the defense and monitor the offense. Sorry that I have made you so mad. I will tread lightly next time you are in the room. I sure don't want to offend any vetern poster. That would really put a damper on my officiating. And yes, it is Crystal Clear.
Some of us have been here several years. It's more than a discussion board for us, it's a community. We discuss a lot of issues, email each other and ocassionally talk over the phone. A few have even met face to face. When a new guy comes in with such a condescending attitude, he's gonna catch it. There was nothing that was unclear in my post. You just chose to respond to it in an unnecessary, condescending manner.

No need to tread lightly, just don't be such an ***, at least until we get to know you.

Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Some of us have been here several years. It's more than a discussion board for us, it's a community. We discuss a lot of issues, email each other and ocassionally talk over the phone. A few have even met face to face. When a new guy comes in with such a condescending attitude, he's gonna catch it. There was nothing that was unclear in my post. You just chose to respond to it in an unnecessary, condescending manner.

No need to tread lightly, just don't be such an ***, at least until we get to know you.
And then, you can be as as*-inine as the rest of us!
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
And, well, ummm,

shhhhhh!!!!

here, have some of this & enjoy the show...