The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

According to the Houston Chronicle "Mouton asked Valentine to explain to him the nature of the foul and two sources said the official replied by cursing Mouton"

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2470491
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Teddy's Comment

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallCoach
Assuming it is true that Ted V actually said that to Moulton what do you feel should happen to him?
First of all, after reading the story, its sounds to me like this allegation is all hear-say.

If he did indeed say those words i don't think he should be fired, would a coach be fired for saying this to an official??? A coach would get ejected, so I feel in order to keep the penalties similar, he should either be fined his game fee, or suspended for one game. Nothing more.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 10:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

From the article.

He fouled out with 2:09 remaining.

Mouton asked Valentine to explain to him the nature of the foul and two sources said the official replied by cursing Mouton.

"It was a tough call at that point in the game," Mouton said. "I was playing my heart out, and it hurt because I wouldn't be around to help my team win the game."

For one, this is not the NBA. What is a player even doing talking to an official at this level? Does anyone remember Rasheed Wallace getting the amount of Ts he does now at the NBA. Does anyone remember the Ron Artest given the St. John's crowd the finger when he was fouled out of a game? Or any crowd for that matter when he played in the Big East?

If that is what this is all about, then Valentine did him a favor and not T'ing his behind for even having the audacity or gall to approach an official about a call.

I had a game this year where a player went after an official about one of his calls. When the official got basically in the face of the kid, the coach got upset that the official said something to his player. And then said to me (I was standing in front of the coach), "he cannot say anything to my player." Not anything about the kid behavior or why the official responded to the kid in the first place. He got upset that the official did not T this kid and had words with him. Adults have gone crazy I tell you.

Peace

Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 10:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Teddy's Comment

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
A coach would get ejected, so I feel in order to keep the penalties similar,
At the college level and at that level of college, he would not be ejected. That would be normal conversation in many gyms. I remember a rant by Coach K (YES COACH K) when he called an official about every name in the book and did not get T up if I remember correctly.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
According to the Houston Chronicle "Mouton asked Valentine to explain to him the nature of the foul and two sources said the official replied by cursing Mouton"

I would like to see this in a newspaper that is not from the state of Texas.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Teddy's Comment

Quote:
Assuming it is true that Ted V actually said that to Moulton what do you feel should happen to him?
Why should anything happen to him? Coaches curse players all the time. Coaches curse officials all the time. Why should an official be held to a higher standard than a coach?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Originally posted by gostars

I would like to see this in a newspaper that is not from the state of Texas.
I saw it in a Knight-Rider article last night. I can't find it now but I know that it was not in a Texas paper. If I remember right it was two Texas players (other than Mouton) that heard what Ted Valentine said.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Teddy's Comment

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Why should anything happen to him? Coaches curse players all the time. Coaches curse officials all the time. Why should an official be held to a higher standard than a coach?
Simply because in the beginning of this thread Barnes is accused of uttering the magic word and Valentine having no choice but to eject him. Y'all can't have it both ways - either everybody can say it, or nobody can.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Re: Teddy's Comment

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
in the beginning of this thread Barnes is accused of uttering the magic word and Valentine having no choice but to eject him. Y'all can't have it both ways - either everybody can say it, or nobody can.
There's a difference in the way it can be used, Coach, and I'm sure that you know that. There's:

1) You're a [bleep]ing joke!

And then there's:

2) Is this a great [bleep]ing game, or what?

#1 gets a coach tossed. #2 gets a smile and "Sure is, Coach" from the ref.

As Dan pointed out, if it's an adjective and NOT directed at a person (and not at the top of your lungs), it's usually ignored.

So you're right that we can't have it both ways if we say that coaches can't use #1, but refs can. That's obviously an unfair double-standard. But it's totally consistent to say that nobody can use #1, and anybody can use #2.

Barnes (perhaps) used #1. Teddy V (perhaps) used #2.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you Chuck.

But, if I remeber correctly from "Bull Durham", there is no correct way to use one particular word!

Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

You're not in charge here redoubtable.

The question is, did he use the F word to a player.
The person reporting it IS THE PLAYER - Mouton - to whom he said it. No bionic ears necessary.

Now, is that close enough for the player addressed by the profanity to have heard.

Now the quetion you won't answer. If he did say it, what should happen to him?
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Judge Roy
You're not in charge here redoubtable
What in the name of Coach Knight is that supposed to mean? Last I checked, we were having a discussion with people expressing opinions. Free country, Judge Roy.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Valentine had no choice but do what he did, and it was the correct thing to do.
[/B]
This was easy to handle. The coach was more upset with Ted's partners. Ted just took care of business.

Quote:
In regards to Knight incident, the Big Ten should have stood behind Valentine more in that situation. Plus, one of the other officials had a great opportunity to step in and help Valentine and passed on it, and thought that was not right either.[/B]
I have to disagree here. Its one thing if a partner fails to back you up. Its up to the supervisor to handle your partner. Its a whole different story when your partner(in this case Ted V.) goes public about your partner's performance or lack of..
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Valentine was suspended and banned for one year

from the Big Ten in that incident for his public remarks in an article in Referee Magazine.

The Big Ten also indicated publicly that the 2nd and therefore 3rd techs were wrong.

The rules committe changed the rules of the game as a result of that one play that resulted in the squabble.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Valentine was suspended and banned for one year

Quote:
Originally posted by Judge Roy
from the Big Ten in that incident for his public remarks in an article in Referee Magazine.
Just as I thought. You're an official who usually posts on this board but doesn't have the balls to post under your normal name. You are gutless and spineless.

But since you brought it up, what has Valentine's interview with REFEREE got to do with this situation? Once again, nothing.

Quote:
The Big Ten also indicated publicly that the 2nd and therefore 3rd techs were wrong.
I beg to differ. The Big Ten, in their infamous wisdom, stated that the 3rd T should not have been called. But let's not leave out the fact that Knight was also reprimanded.

Quote:
The rules committe changed the rules of the game as a result of that one play that resulted in the squabble.
What does that have to do with anything? The play was called correctly in the game. Knight's dumbass didn't know the correct rule at the time. The fact that the rule was changed doesn't have anything to do with Valentine correctly ruling on that play.

Once again, spineless and gutless. How about a moderator taking a look at this guy's IP address and tell us who he is?