The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

BLUE NATION

Congratulations BLUENATION!

The tone of your questions is far less accusatory than your initial post after the Kentucky loss. It is hoped that you have had some time to process the game and have come to realize that officials truly do not care who wins the game. Are we human? Yes. Do we make mistakes? Occasionally.

This is the mindset I have when I enter the gym:
"Sometimes wrong, never indecisive."

As for your questions....

What level of education is required to be a ref or to be considered?

As you would expect, the level of education is dependent on the level of competition.
Third Grade Pee Wee league…”Hey you! Wanna be an official!?”
Middle School …. “Hey You! Can you count to “Three seconds?;” “Do you know how to call Over-The-Back?”
High School …. “Hey You! Are you state-certified and have you completed the necessary clinics?”
NCAA …. “Hey You! Do you have any dates open on your calendar?”

UAB Vs KY … “Hey you! Wanna be an official!?” (Can you take a Joke ?)

Give a percent on how many refs have another "primary" job?

All that I know officiate because they love to be in the gym. None can support themselves with officiating fees because the pay is not nearly enough, especially at the High School level.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Of course there is risk that you will "screw up" and lose your job as an official. But, the same goes if you worked for a Fortune 500 company. Heck, there are posts on here about Larry Rose and his mistake in the NC State game (I didn't see game.. just read the forum)... he even got reprimanded by Barakat. I'LL BET THOUGH... he is working a full schedule next year, in the ACC, for Barakat. RIGHT.
There is always risk.. but, I would say a mistake in a major game is not the "END" of a career. Just a side track.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iamaref
Of course there is risk that you will "screw up" and lose your job as an official. But, the same goes if you worked for a Fortune 500 company. Heck, there are posts on here about Larry Rose and his mistake in the NC State game (I didn't see game.. just read the forum)... he even got reprimanded by Barakat. I'LL BET THOUGH... he is working a full schedule next year, in the ACC, for Barakat. RIGHT.
There is always risk.. but, I would say a mistake in a major game is not the "END" of a career. Just a side track.
I'm betting there is a big difference between a 20 year veteran whose done the last bazillion conference championship games screwing up and a first, second, or third year "rookie" making the same mistake (whatever the error may be).
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

I would love to find out how to get into refereeing D2/D3 games. My goal is to ref D1 in 5 years.

Any ideas where I can get this info.

live in CO.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 06:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
One thing to remember...no benefits..
  • No health insurance
  • No paid vacation
  • No sick pay
  • No pension
  • Self Employment taxes (that your employer normally pays)
  • etc.

So, 100K for them is NOT equal to a salary of 100K as an employee. All of the benefits that so many take for granted actually cost a LOT of money. Benefits alone could effectively reduce that by 20-30% or more.

• And all of this is over-rated if your company decides to fold and not give you any of this. Ask many that had jobs and have none of this anymore. So yes it is nice to have a job, but you might not be able to count on these things. I just started working for a job that gives me none of this, and that is alright by me. But if I do the right things, I will make enough that if I want to go to Vegas on a Friday, I can. I do not have to ask a "boss" for permission or ask can I leave an hour early to go do a game.

Ask those that used to work for Fannie Mae (candy company). The company went bankrupt and the employees that had 15 years and more lost the sick days, pensions and anything else associated with the company. So you can go out looking for a job that is going to pay you $50,000 a year and give you health insurance to take care of your family, but if that company goes under or lays you off, you might be in the boat where officiating is all you have.

Just something to think about.

Peace
    Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 06:53pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by JRutledge
    Quote:
    One thing to remember...no benefits..
  • No health insurance
  • No paid vacation
  • No sick pay
  • No pension
  • Self Employment taxes (that your employer normally pays)
  • etc.

So, 100K for them is NOT equal to a salary of 100K as an employee. All of the benefits that so many take for granted actually cost a LOT of money. Benefits alone could effectively reduce that by 20-30% or more.

• And all of this is over-rated if your company decides to fold and not give you any of this. Ask many that had jobs and have none of this anymore. So yes it is nice to have a job, but you might not be able to count on these things. I just started working for a job that gives me none of this, and that is alright by me. But if I do the right things, I will make enough that if I want to go to Vegas on a Friday, I can. I do not have to ask a "boss" for permission or ask can I leave an hour early to go do a game.

Ask those that used to work for Fannie Mae (candy company). The company went bankrupt and the employees that had 15 years and more lost the sick days, pensions and anything else associated with the company. So you can go out looking for a job that is going to pay you $50,000 a year and give you health insurance to take care of your family, but if that company goes under or lays you off, you might be in the boat where officiating is all you have.

Just something to think about.

Peace
    While everything you said it true, it's not germane to the topic. I was comparing the real value of self employment income versus working for an employer. They're not equal.

You're also just as likely to not be able to officiate as losing a job and not finding a replacement.

In anycase, you'll need to gross more money being self-employed than as an employee in order to break even.

I'm all for people that desire to be self-employed to do so...I've even got my own thing going on the side that one day may be all I need. But, you've gotta compare apples to apples when talking dollars.
    Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 10:00pm
    Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

While everything you said it true, it's not germane to the topic. I was comparing the real value of self employment income versus working for an employer. They're not equal.

You're also just as likely to not be able to officiate as losing a job and not finding a replacement.

In anycase, you'll need to gross more money being self-employed than as an employee in order to break even.

I'm all for people that desire to be self-employed to do so...I've even got my own thing going on the side that one day may be all I need. But, you've gotta compare apples to apples when talking dollars.
    My only point is that working for someone is not all cracked up to what people think it is. Yes, you might have precieved security, but if that company goes under or decides to lay you off, then you are back to square one. I know a guy in our association that had a job and lost that job (laid off) in December and still is not working for anyone. He seems to be very qualified and worked for 9 years at this position, but is now out of work. Yes, officiting is not the key to that security, but being self-employed on some level is not all that bad either. It is nice to be able to work as much or as little as you like and make more than a 9 to 5.

Peace

Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 11:13pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by JRutledge
    My only point is that working for someone is not all cracked up to what people think it is.
    It's a trade-off. I used to work for myself and I never felt like I truly left my work behind. I work for a big company now and when I walk out that door, I don't even give it a thought until I come back the next time. I have a lot more free time to officiate because I truly know my availability with my set schedule... and I have great benefits in case I should get injured with my true love (officiating).

Z