Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
One thing to remember...no benefits..
  • No health insurance
  • No paid vacation
  • No sick pay
  • No pension
  • Self Employment taxes (that your employer normally pays)
  • etc.

So, 100K for them is NOT equal to a salary of 100K as an employee. All of the benefits that so many take for granted actually cost a LOT of money. Benefits alone could effectively reduce that by 20-30% or more.

• And all of this is over-rated if your company decides to fold and not give you any of this. Ask many that had jobs and have none of this anymore. So yes it is nice to have a job, but you might not be able to count on these things. I just started working for a job that gives me none of this, and that is alright by me. But if I do the right things, I will make enough that if I want to go to Vegas on a Friday, I can. I do not have to ask a "boss" for permission or ask can I leave an hour early to go do a game.

Ask those that used to work for Fannie Mae (candy company). The company went bankrupt and the employees that had 15 years and more lost the sick days, pensions and anything else associated with the company. So you can go out looking for a job that is going to pay you $50,000 a year and give you health insurance to take care of your family, but if that company goes under or lays you off, you might be in the boat where officiating is all you have.

Just something to think about.

Peace
    While everything you said it true, it's not germane to the topic. I was comparing the real value of self employment income versus working for an employer. They're not equal.

You're also just as likely to not be able to officiate as losing a job and not finding a replacement.

In anycase, you'll need to gross more money being self-employed than as an employee in order to break even.

I'm all for people that desire to be self-employed to do so...I've even got my own thing going on the side that one day may be all I need. But, you've gotta compare apples to apples when talking dollars.