The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 21, 2004, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

I'd like to see how many miles the officials on the UAB-Washington game racked up.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2004, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
The technology varies, bus most pedometers use some type of "g" sensor to measure the number of steps or strides you take. You then multiply this by the length of your normal stride to get approximate distance.

I tried wearing my wife's pedometer for several games this season & averaged roughly 3500 strides per game. It takes me an average of 12 strides to make a lead/trail transition or vice versa, which on an average court is approx. 60 feet - translating into 5 feet per stride. Say I knock off 500 walking strides for misc. activities not in transition, this works out to approx. 15,000 feet, or just under 3 miles per game - 90% of which is done in sprints. Add to that the 500 strides at a normal gait of 2.5 feet and you get almost another 1/4 mile.

Not a bad workout for 75-90 minutes....now I know why those double-headers wear me out!
Tim -- Did you and I chat at the Blazers game last evening? Welcome to the board! It's a good one, isn't it? Don't forget to drop me an e-mail. juulie alias rainmaker
Old Sun Mar 21, 2004, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Let's say it's 2.5 miles. That's 13,200 feet. If a junior high court is 74 feet and a high school court is 84 feet long, you'd have to go up and back 178 times on a junior high court and 157 times on a high school court. That's all the way from one endline to the other, which we don't always do. If we're the lead on the one endline, we become the trail at the other end, and go probably 3/4 of the way down. I know there's some switching and some side-to-side and going to the table and stuff, but I'm skeptical that you'd go end-to-end 40+ times in a quarter.

I mean, I know we run quite a bit and all (my hamstrings would feel it after doing the typical three-games-back-to-back-to-back in my league), I'm just slightly skeptical it could be quite that much in actual mileage. I would think pedometers would be more accurate in a straight line, Point-A to Point-B, relatively constant stride situation and not in the stop-start-slide-walk-stand-sprint-stop-slide way we have to do our jobs.

Of course, I could be wrong.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2004, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Tim -- Did you and I chat at the Blazers game last evening? Welcome to the board! It's a good one, isn't it? Don't forget to drop me an e-mail. juulie alias rainmaker [/B]
Yep, twas I.....you were right,this is a great board, glad I took your advice & checked it out.

email we discussed on the way this evening...

Tim
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Wink It depends how much you move

We have a referee (one of the the league officials, which is why he still gets games) who barely moves at all. If he's over 200 yards a game, I'd be amazed. He mostly stands in the middle and turns around. The other refs call him "The Lighthouse".