The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pedometer? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12782-pedometer.html)

FHSUref Fri Mar 19, 2004 02:36pm

Has anyone ever used one while officiating? AND, does anyone know where I would be able to get one before the start of next year?

I would like to wear one while officiating to see how many miles a night it is wunnin up and down the floor.

dhodges007 Fri Mar 19, 2004 04:23pm

I'd love to know too. Let us know what you find out.

FHSUref Fri Mar 19, 2004 04:25pm

You know

Quote:

Originally posted by FHSUref
wunnin up and down the floor.
Like those wascally wabbits!

whistleone Fri Mar 19, 2004 04:52pm

Believe it or not, WalMart carries pedometers as well as any local running shop. Many sporting goods stores sell them as well.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 19, 2004 07:27pm

I'd bet that thest things would be horribily inaccurate for reffing.

I beleive that most, if not all, of them work by counting strides and mulitplying by the length of your stride (a setting that you give it). For runners, walkers, and joggers, that is probably a close assumption. For officiating, the stride would vary so much, you could be 2-3x off.

CYO Butch Fri Mar 19, 2004 07:50pm

How about a GPS? ;) Actually, for soccer it might work, but basketball courts are too small, and GPSs don't really work inside.

Bart Tyson Fri Mar 19, 2004 08:58pm

We have an official in our conference who wears something to measure her distance. she says 2.5 to 3 miles a game.

Back In The Saddle Fri Mar 19, 2004 09:14pm

I did it once. I don't remember what the mileage was, but I remember that it was quite a bit less than the 5 miles somebody in my association was suggesting. (I believe Earl Stromm implied that distance in his book, as well).

rainmaker Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:57am

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I did it once. I don't remember what the mileage was, but I remember that it was quite a bit less than the 5 miles somebody in my association was suggesting.
Our commissioner says that a good varsity game gets you about 5 miles. That's 2-person. I suppose it depends quite a bit on the game, too. Like, one game they showed a clip from this evening was 52-60 at the half!! That game got more mileage than a game that ends up 52-60 for the whole thing.

Chin Ref Sat Mar 20, 2004 09:49am

In our association, we have some refs 'wander' some steps in the game - very poor work ethic

FHSUref Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:14am

Quote:

Originally posted by Camron Rust
I'd bet that thest things would be horribily inaccurate for reffing.

I beleive that most, if not all, of them work by counting strides and mulitplying by the length of your stride (a setting that you give it). For runners, walkers, and joggers, that is probably a close assumption. For officiating, the stride would vary so much, you could be 2-3x off.

That stinks. I was going to try it out and then possibly propose a research project (thesis) on the possible benefits of officiating and aerobic/anaerobic activity in males 35-40 years old.

I may still try it. I will keep you all informed. Heck, they may not even think it is a worthy research project.

Mark Dexter Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:36am

Quote:

Originally posted by FHSUref

That stinks. I was going to try it out and then possibly propose a research project (thesis) on the possible benefits of officiating and aerobic/anaerobic activity in males 35-40 years old.

I may still try it. I will keep you all informed. Heck, they may not even think it is a worthy research project.

I dunno - that (or some version, perhaps sans pedometer) seems like a pretty darn good research topic to me.

I definately need to lose some weight, and obviously reffing helps. However, basketball is often something along the lines of: sprint to new lead, stop, walk across the lane, call a foul, stop, jog to the table, jog to C, stand for a minute to watch free throws, run down to new C, stop . . . it's not the very model of a modern aerobic exercise.

I'd be interested in seeing if reffing is, indeed, an aerobic activity (wireless pulse monitors, perhaps) and, if not, how much of an impact on health does it have.

One-Whistle Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:41pm

Agreed

Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Tyson
We have an official in our conference who wears something to measure her distance. she says 2.5 to 3 miles a game.
We have an official in our association who consistently wears a pedometer. He states that it is usually between 2.5 - 3 miles/game.

Here is the sad news, all that running and have you really gone anywhere? :D

rainmaker Sun Mar 21, 2004 01:25am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
. . . it's not the very model of a modern aerobic exercise. ...
..and he quotes Gilbert and Sullivan, too. What a guy!

TimTaylor Sun Mar 21, 2004 02:02am

The technology varies, bus most pedometers use some type of "g" sensor to measure the number of steps or strides you take. You then multiply this by the length of your normal stride to get approximate distance.

I tried wearing my wife's pedometer for several games this season & averaged roughly 3500 strides per game. It takes me an average of 12 strides to make a lead/trail transition or vice versa, which on an average court is approx. 60 feet - translating into 5 feet per stride. Say I knock off 500 walking strides for misc. activities not in transition, this works out to approx. 15,000 feet, or just under 3 miles per game - 90% of which is done in sprints. Add to that the 500 strides at a normal gait of 2.5 feet and you get almost another 1/4 mile.

Not a bad workout for 75-90 minutes....now I know why those double-headers wear me out!