The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

I just spent some time looking at the rules on http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf
and I cannot seem to find anything definitive. I found the TV monitor rules in section 6 of appendix 3 at the end. But it doesn't tell me if the officials go with the clock, light, or horn.
I remember a Texas/Providence game earlier this season in which the light was on before the try was released, but the clock still showed a tenth of a second and the ruling was that the goal counted.
Could someone please provide something akin to the NFHS 1-14 and 2-12-7.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Mar 29th, 2004 at 07:38 PM]
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Right now on ESPN, Mike Patrick is insisting that the HORN is what takes precedence. He says the heirarchy is horn, lights, clock at zero.
The question is whether or not Turasi's 3 at the buzzer to end the first half in the UConn/PSU game should count.

Well, my understanding different.
And to then have to listen to Reece Davis, Dales-Schuman and Fortner talk at the half-time report about how the official lost the game for Baylor was killing me. Fortner asked the Baylor coach, "What did the official say to you?" To which she replied, "He wouldn't come over to talk to me"......well duh!!!! Anyone have a match and a little bit of gasoline for that fire? Who cares, the official doesn't have to say anything. He made the call so they need to leave it alone.

Then Fortner wanted to know if the Baylor coach thought that the call was made because it was Tenneessee and they are a powerhouse. C'mon, where did they find Fortner? She is garbage.
I want to know who died and made Fortner the queen of officiating? I also thought that the Baylor coach was wrong when she claimed it was an "over the back" foul on the missed lay-up. I didn't see that in the play at all. Even my wife agrees with me on that one and that doesn't happen too often.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

What ends the game?

In the Texas-Providence game, the clock showed 0.0, but the light wasn't on yet, so they counted the shot. It seemed counterintuitive to me, but I seem to remember the college officials on here saying that it was horn, light, then clock. I don't know for sure, I'm a long ways from being at a level where replay is even an option to use.

CoachW
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Section 7. Art. 2. c. 1. begins "After the game-clock horn sounds to end the game", so it looks like the game-clock horn is what ends the game.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Packer on the FF

With a little over 3 minutes to play in the first half, a high pass is thrown to a GT player who is running down the sideline on the tableside. He tips the ball before being able to gather it in, while taking a couple of steps forward. The OSU partisan crowd boos, half of the OSU bench signals traveling, and our favorite Billy Packer says, "He walked for the second time there and it wasn't called."
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

BZZZZZT!

I would like to see CBS hire a good official (a volunteer from this forum) to sit next to Packer during the telecasts and zap him with a TASER when he wrongly criticizes a referee's decision. He'd probably be a quick learner.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Packer on the FF

Quote:
With a little over 3 minutes to play in the first half, a high pass is thrown to a GT player who is running down the sideline on the tableside. He tips the ball before being able to gather it in, while taking a couple of steps forward. The OSU partisan crowd boos, half of the OSU bench signals traveling, and our favorite Billy Packer says, "He walked for the second time there and it wasn't called."
Good catch - I heard that one too. It was a good no-call - there was no control.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Packer on the FF

I don't remember who he was talking about, but somebody missed a shot and Packer said, "I'm gonna say he was fouled there. He doesn't miss that badly by himself."

Typical howler monkey comment. Pathetic.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I don't remember who he was talking about, but somebody missed a shot and Packer said, "I'm gonna say he was fouled there. He doesn't miss that badly by himself."

Typical howler monkey comment. Pathetic.
Ben Gordon of Connecticut after he shot a 12 ft. airball.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
"The way this game is being officiated, the players aren't adjusting."

Yea, it's the ref's fault.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

said same thing again tonight in Duke/UConn

He said something of the same tonight in Duke/UConn:

"the way this game is being called, neither team is able to get into the flow of their offense" Billy Packer
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 01:16am
We don't rent pigs

U.Conn press conference question

(paraphrased) Is it difficult to get into the flow of a game when it is interrupted every 15 seconds by whistles?

Made it sound like somebody left a window open and let stray whistles keep slipping in.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

WOW on Digger!

Digger just gave the UConn/Duke officials an F on the ESPN postgame roundtable chat.
Dickie V stated his opinion that JJ Redick was fouled on the final drive to the basket.

FWIW, I saw an interview with Duke Coach K and he displayed tremendous class about that play. He said that we thought JJ would either score or go to the foul line, but he didn't and that's the way it goes.
I was stunned that he didn't whine about it all. He just moved up a notch in my book.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: WOW on Digger!

Quote:
Digger just gave the UConn/Duke officials an F on the ESPN postgame roundtable chat.
I thought Packer's whining about the refs was completely out of line. I ddin't see ANY calls that were questionable or really even borderline. It was a rough game with a lot of sloppy play and the refs did a good job of keeping it from getting out of control. In other words, it wasn't the refs fault that the players "couldn't get into the flow". What a novel concept.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
I thought Packer's whining about the refs was completely out of line. I ddin't see ANY calls that were questionable or really even borderline. It was a rough game with a lot of sloppy play and the refs did a good job of keeping it from getting out of control. In other words, it wasn't the refs fault that the players "couldn't get into the flow". What a novel concept.
Agreed. It was not a pretty game, but also was not a poorly called game.