Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
There's no case play or interpretation from the NFHS or NCAA that says this is a foul. You will find that opinions vary on this play as some say that it is a foul, other's say that it isn't.
Are you sure about this? I remember reading something about this play once.
Where?

Unless you can produce it, yes, I'm sure!

mick, you weren't fouled, you were mugged. There's a difference.
Here's where I read it:
12-1-3 ...A goalkeeper shall not strike or attempt to strike an opponent by throwing or kicking the ball at an opponent or by pushing an opponent with the ball while holding it.
Oh, wait, this the basketball board. Note to self: say out loud three times, basketball rules, basketball rules, basketball rules....
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There's no case play or interpretation from the NFHS or NCAA that says this is a foul. You will find that opinions vary on this play as some say that it is a foul, other's say that it isn't.
Are you sure about this? I remember reading something about this play once.
Where?

Unless you can produce it, yes, I'm sure!

mick, you weren't fouled, you were mugged. There's a difference.
I also remember reading it at some point in the past. Perhaps it wasn't in the "book" IIRC but it was in an interpretation. The basis was that you can't push someone, even if you use the ball to do it. The ball, for the spirit of the rule, is considered an extension of the hand.

By the strictest reading of the rules, most of what we call fouls would not be since the contact is often through the shirt and not directly skin-to-skin.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

12-1-3 ...A goalkeeper shall not strike or attempt to strike an opponent by throwing or kicking the ball at an opponent or by pushing an opponent with the ball while holding it.
Oh, wait, this the basketball board. Note to self: say out loud three times, basketball rules, basketball rules, basketball rules....
Rule TWELVE

What kind of crazy *#&# are you trying to bring on to this board?
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

ref18,

In that "weird held ball" situation, the arrow does not change. If the ball is being in-bounded as a result of a jump-ball, the team in-bounding the ball does not lose the arrow.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Thank you to all those who answered my question, but I have another one. Same situation only the one in possesion of the ball has stopped moving. He/she cannot move again because of the double dribble rule, so they throw the ball at you in order to be able to move again. Is this legal? Also, does the five-second rule apply after you have stopped moving, or the whole time you are in possesion, regardless of wether you are idle or not. Thanks again
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
We've discussed this on this board in the past, and if I remember correctly, we ended up agreeing with BktBallRef, that if there's no body contact it's not a foul. At least, most of us agreed. I don't know if we EVER all agree about anything!
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
We've discussed this on this board in the past, and if I remember correctly, we ended up agreeing with BktBallRef, that if there's no body contact it's not a foul. At least, most of us agreed. I don't know if we EVER all agree about anything!
Rainmaker's right. Without body contact, you cannot have a personal foul. But you can still have an unsporting T.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik
Thank you to all those who answered my question, but I have another one. Same situation only the one in possesion of the ball has stopped moving. He/she cannot move again because of the double dribble rule, so they throw the ball at you in order to be able to move again. Is this legal?

Yup - watch the next time the inbounder can't make the pass, so he throws it off the defender and it ricochets right OOB.

Quote:
Also, does the five-second rule apply after you have stopped moving, or the whole time you are in possesion, regardless of wether you are idle or not. Thanks again
By moving, do you mean dribbling? There is a 5 second count when you are dribbling (whether stationary or moving), then a SEPARATE 5 second count for holding the ball.