The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 17, 2000, 10:49pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Here's the sitch:

8 point game, 1 minute to go in the 4th.

The team losing was already "trying to foul".

Team in the lead has the ball for a backcourt endline throw-in, after a TO.

B1 reaches through the boundary plane, and, actually, steps through the plane, and hug-fouls the thrower-in. Not sure if B1 knew the difference between live ball/dead ball, but clearly had intent to prevent the clock from starting.

Ruling?
Old Sun Dec 17, 2000, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

My understanding is that this would be an intentional foul. Forget the warning for delay of game and go straight to free throws and award the ball back to a at the nearest spot to where the foul occurred.

Old Sun Dec 17, 2000, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

This is a "T"......and nothing else. Go shoot the 2 shots, and then inbound the ball at half court.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2000, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

See NF case book 10.3.12c
This is an intentional personal foul(whether or not a previous warning had been issued or not) and if no prior
warning this would also be given with the foul.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 12:05am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Is it possible to have an intentional technical foul?

If so, how would it come about?
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I don't think that 10.3.12c would apply to this question...in that case the clock is running after a made basket...in this case it is a stopped clock. That is why I think the "T" is the right call.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Dennis my friend i think you are wrong. If the player had just slapped the ball then you could give a 'T', however fouling a player who is holding a ball out of bounds is allways going to be at min. an intentional foul. You could eject the player is the foul was extremely bad.

A better question to the first post would be, after shooting the 2 free throws and returning to the baseline for a throw in should team 'A' be entitled to run the baseline.(assuming that we had a valid basket before the time out).

keep smiling
SH
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Flannery
I don't think that 10.3.12c would apply to this question...in that case the clock is running after a made basket...in this case it is a stopped clock. That is why I think the "T" is the right call.
Dennis,

It doesn't matter that the clock is stopped. It's a live ball foul, not a dead ball foul. That's the determining factor and for that reason, it's intentional foul.

Tony

Quote:
Originally posted by HoopsRefBC
A better question to the first post would be, after shooting the 2 free throws and returning to the baseline for a throw in should team 'A' be entitled to run the baseline.(assuming that we had a valid basket before the time out).
SH,

No, Team A would not be allowed to run the baseline. It's no different than any other time a foul would occur, after a basket but before the throw-in was complete.

Tony
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

Tony,

My understanding is that this year the rule changed so that a team who has the right to run the baseline and is fouled doesn't lose that right. Maybe i am wrong.

Play..

Team 'B' scores a valid goal. Team 'A' is allowed to run the baseline on the throw-in, Team 'B' fouls. Team 'A' maintains the right to run the baseline.(if the ball is to be taken out on the baseline.)

I don't see how a intentional foul or a technical foul changes this.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC
Tony,

My understanding is that this year the rule changed so that a team who has the right to run the baseline and is fouled doesn't lose that right. Maybe i am wrong.

Play..

Team 'B' scores a valid goal. Team 'A' is allowed to run the baseline on the throw-in, Team 'B' fouls. Team 'A' maintains the right to run the baseline.(if the ball is to be taken out on the baseline.)

I don't see how a intentional foul or a technical foul changes this.
You're correct for NCAA rules.

Under FED rules, the team does lose the right to run the baseline.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

If they touch the ball 1st, it is a T. If he touched the player 1st, it is an intentional foul. They get a spot throw in nearest the foul, baseline privs are gone.

Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb DENNIS IS RIGHT!

Sounds like another NBA-influenced play...maybe the player was trying to get a delay of game warning and see what the offense was gonna run!

Technically (pun intended), it should be a Tech. The twist on this sitch is the player doesn't just break the plane with a reach, he/she walks OOB to give the thrower-in a hug.

NFHS 10-3-4: A player shall not: Leave the court for an unauthorized reason or delay returning after legally being out of bounds.

Any contact that happens subsequent to the whistle, unless deemed flagrant or intentional, is incidental since the ball becomes dead with the T.

However, if you choose to ALSO enforce the contact, then you have CAN ALSO have an intentional or flagrant dead ball foul = another T.

NFHS 4-19-5c: A technical foul is...an intentional or flagrant contact foul while the ball is dead

Summing up, for this sitch:

* Cannot just have an intentional.

* At a minimum, it is a T for leaving the floor (not breaking the plane which requires contact with the ball)

* If you choose to enforce contact, you have 2 Ts on the same player. "see 'ya...wouldn't wanna be 'ya"

btw - I would merely call the T.

[Edited by pizanno on Dec 18th, 2000 at 04:09 PM]
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 05:31pm
Esteemed Participant

Actually, you and Dennis are both wrong...read Case Book 10.3.12A...it specifically says "B2 crosses the boundary plane and fouls A1"...the ruling: Intentional Foul...further, Case Book play 10.3.12C has A2 stepping out of bounds to foul the thrower and asks the question "Is the foul personal or technical? Ruling: This is an intentional personal foul"...hope this helps clear it all up!
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 9-2-11 penalty 4 (the Intentional for fouling the thrower-inner) states that this is an I whether it occurs after a made basket or a regular throw-in.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Actually, you and Dennis are both wrong...read Case Book 10.3.12A...it specifically says "B2 crosses the boundary plane and fouls A1"...the ruling: Intentional Foul...further, Case Book play 10.3.12C has A2 stepping out of bounds to foul the thrower and asks the question "Is the foul personal or technical? Ruling: This is an intentional personal foul"...

hope this helps clear it all up!
Me too. This is an easy one, clearly defined in the case book and rule book. It's an intentional foul, nothing more, nothing less.

Pizanno, how is the ball dead?