The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
I'd avoid stopping the game,it points the spotlight on the situation.

Be calm,under control and precise when you talk to the coach.

Ed Rush talked about this at a camp I went to,he put this on the blackboard:

P P parent

A A adult

C C child

The first row is the offical,the second is a player or coach.In an ideal situation all communication ia A to A,when the player/coach takes it to C,we must take on a parental role.
Since I don't have any kids, I don't qualify as a P. I guess I'll just have to go with T.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
I owe you to a coach opens the door for favors and...well, all heck will break out. I like the statement, not the best call of the night. Shuts the door on that call and everyone moves on. If not everyone moves on, then take care of business. And move on....and so forth.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to N_Stripes
Unhappy I accept my flogging!

Quote:
Originally posted by N_Stripes
Officials should be approachable.
Experience will let you know what coaches are approachable.

In three man, I can have a quick chat with a coach during a live ball. Seldom do I chat in two man but will give a quick word or two answer or explanation as I run by. If a coach wants a major discussion about a rule, there should be a timeout.

Tell a coach what you saw, or the way you saw it. Or maybe, "Hey coach, I didn't see it that way" and move on. Do not be afraid to admit to a blown call. Even one of your partner's blown calls without sh*ting on them. "Yeah coach, I may have missed that one" or "coach, my partner may have had a tough angle there, we may owe you one."

That doesn't mean that you will give them one back but you were honest and you defused a confrontation.

When you have discussed it enough, let the coach know. You can tell them, you can hold up your hand to them. Be firm not timid; be serious, don't try and make jokes or be buddies with the coaches.

Have respect for the coach and their position, and earn their respect for yours.
Okay, I accept my flogging for the [/B]"we may owe you one"[/B] suggestion. Not a good thing to share with a younger official looking to improve.
There are coaches I have officiated for many years that I can get away with this, there are some that I still couldn't. However, I never intended to imply that I had shat on my partner nor intended to pay the team back.
I know I am new to this forum (somewhat new to the whole internet thing) and have some different ideas on some things. I appreciate your honesty and constructive critisism.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

NEVADA REF...

That's about the funniest thing i've read on hear.. GOOD WORK.