LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/sto...P&SECTION=HOME

Feb 28, 12:30 PM EST

NBA Refs Protest Colleague's Punishment

By CHRIS SHERIDAN
AP Basketball Writer

All 10 NBA games had one thing in common: referees wearing No. 62. In a rare protest against the punishment handed down to one of their colleagues, game officials turned their jerseys inside-out Friday night and stenciled in the number of referee Michael Henderson.

Henderson's bad call at the end of Wednesday night's Lakers-Nuggets game was publicly acknowledged Thursday by the NBA. Henderson was taken off three job assignments and summoned to the league office, the referees' association said.

"An unprecedented job action was taken against one of their colleagues, so an unprecedented response was necessary," said Lamell McMorris, a spokesman and negotiator for the National Basketball Referees Association.

Referees at every NBA game were expected to take part in the protest, although Eddie F. Rush and Nolan Fine worked the Grizzlies-Bucks game in Milwaukee and did not. The third member of their crew, Rodney Mott, adhered to the protest.

The NBA released a statement from deputy commissioner Russ Granik saying any referees taking part "will be subject to appropriate discipline."

McMorris said Rush and Fine were "intimidated" by refereeing supervisor Ronnie Nunn.

"From what I understand it was typical bullying tactics by the NBA. Ronnie Nunn came in and threatened them, told them if they wore their shirts inside-out they'd be fired," McMorris said.

NBA vice president Stu Jackson did not return a call seeking comment on McMorris' allegation.

In Friday night's games, Cleveland defeated Orlando 112-107 in overtime, Utah surprised Sacramento 102-97, the Los Angeles Clippers edged New York 96-94, Detroit beat Atlanta 105-83, Milwaukee edged Memphis 106-104, Minnesota downed Golden State 91-81, New Orleans beat Indiana 89-77, Houston defeated Portland 89-85, Phoenix beat Seattle 104-99 and Boston topped Toronto 88-75.

Henderson, in his second season as an NBA official, mistakenly whistled a shot clock violation after an attempt by Denver's Andre Miller brushed the rim and was rebounded by a teammate.

The officials huddled and ruled it an inadvertent whistle, resulting in a jump ball. The Lakers won the tip and made the game-winning shot with 3.2 seconds left.

McMorris said Henderson's three-game punishment was unprecedented.

"It's inconsistent with the performance evaluation standards that the league introduced to initiate communication between supervisors and referees," McMorris said. "This has never occurred for a bad call."
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Interesting situation, in light of some of our recent discussions. Getting it right gets the ref punished. Not a great message to be sending to your referees.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 04:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Interesting situation, in light of some of our recent discussions. Getting it right gets the ref punished.
Say what? Getting it wrong got the ref punished.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Stern Takes Ref's Professionalism To Task

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1746204

Friday, February 27, 2004
Updated: February 28, 1:25 PM ET

ESPN.com news services
NBA commissioner David Stern has expressed his disappointment with the NBA officials who staged a visible protest of the suspension of referee Michael Henderson at Friday night's games.

NBA referees turned their jerseys inside-out and wore No. 62 -- the number assigned to a disciplined colleague.

"Last night's display was woefully inconsistent with the professionalism with which NBA officials normally conduct themselves," Stern said in a statement on Saturday. "There is nothing more to say at this time."

The league promised more punishment for the referees showing support for Henderson.

The NBA released a statement from deputy commissioner Russ Granik on Friday saying any referees taking part in the protest "will be subject to appropriate discipline."

The officials were responding to Michael Henderson's being taken off three job assignments and summoned to the league office. Henderson's bad call at the end of Wednesday night's Lakers-Nuggets game was publicly acknowledged Thursday by the NBA.

"An unprecedented job action was taken against one of their colleagues, so an unprecedented response was necessary," said Lamell McMorris, a spokesman and negotiator for the National Basketball Referees Association.

Referees at all 10 NBA games Friday night were expected to take part in the protest, although officials Eddie F. Rush and Nolan Fine worked the Grizzlies-Bucks game in Milwaukee and did not. The third member of their crew, Rodney Mott, wore his shirt inside out with No. 62 magic-markered on the back.

McMorris said Rush and Fine were "intimidated" by refereeing supervisor Ronnie Nunn.

"From what I understand it was typical bullying tactics by the NBA. Ronnie Nunn came in and threatened them, told them if they wore their shirts inside-out they'd be fired," McMorris said.

NBA vice president Stu Jackson did not return a call seeking comment on McMorris' allegation.

Henderson, in his second season as an NBA official, mistakenly whistled a shot clock violation after an attempt by Denver's Andre Miller brushed the rim and was rebounded by a teammate.

The officials huddled and ruled it an inadvertent whistle, resulting in a jump ball. The Lakers won the tip and made the game-winning shot with 3.2 seconds left.

"This was an unfortunate call at a highly critical point in the game, and we very much regret the error," NBA vice president Stu Jackson said his statement Thursday. He was not immediately available for comment Friday night.

McMorris said Henderson's three-game punishment was unprecedented.

"It's inconsistent with the performance evaluation standards that the league introduced to initiate communication between supervisors and referees," McMorris said. "This has never occurred for a bad call."

McMorris told SportsTicker he had spoken with Henderson and categorized his mood as "upset, as well as the entire NBRA is upset. He's more hurt than anything."

McMorris has a meeting with the NBA tentatively scheduled for Tuesday morning at the league's offices in New York. Henderson will be represented by McMorris as well as outside counsel.

The referees are currently in the final season of their five-year collective bargaining agreement with the NBA.

"They're in it together. They've got pride," Clippers forward Elton Brand said of the protest. "I guess they're trying to get their point across."

Information from The Associated Press and SportsTicker was used in this report.

Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
According to the NBA Officials Media Guide Henderson is in his 3rd season as a NBA offical. He called 98 regular season games coming into this season. He has 4 years of the WNBA and CBA with five seasons in the USBL. 2 CBA finals and 2 WNBA playoffs.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 09:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by thadbrown
This is in stark contrast to the cowardice shown by Lonnie Dixon (check the guessing about a timeout thread).

"Cowardice???

A member of our officiating fraternity made a mistake in judgement, and that's cowardice?

You must be a real treat to officiate with. You'd really have your partners backs, wouldn't you? With a knife in it!
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Am I just crazy here. It seems to me that people who are much smarter than myself (jurassic included) are defending this guy. I just don't get it. Am I missing something?
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 10:08pm
In Memoriam

Go away, fanboy! Your only purpose in coming here was to crap on officials. The name-calling is not appreciated.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Feb 28th, 2004 at 09:10 PM]
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

I can understand a suspension for a rule misapplication. I would expect it.

I cannot understand a suspension for an error on a judgment call.

It would seem to me that the officials have every right to be upset.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 11:56pm
BBallCoach

Isn't the reason he is being suspended is because he affected the outcome of the game by his whistle. If Im correct the Nuggets could have won the game when he blew the whistle. Maybe I'm wrong but that is what I thought
Old Sun Feb 29, 2004, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

what is going on?

hello

im not here too defend michael, but everyone that has worked with him on the court the last 2 years should know how good and official he is. we all make bad calls, you just hope they never happen too affect the outcome of a game, unfortunate for michael this inadvertant whistle did. to me suspending him for 3 games was harsh, we are all human and their will always be error in what we do, what we all need to do is learn from this mistake and make sure it doesnt happen again. this is gonna make michael a better official and you can bet when he steps on that court after his 3 game suspension your gonna see one hell of and official.

tim
Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Tim Harris
Old Sun Feb 29, 2004, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately i missed the game in question, and i'm sad to say i didn't see any of the friday night games, so i don't know what 3 guys in inside out shirts look like doing a game, but i do know this, we all have blown an inadvertant whistle at some point in our carreers, and this official remedied the situation correctly, why should he face more of a punishment then a player would recieve for physically assaulting a referee?
Old Sun Feb 29, 2004, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Unfortunately i missed the game in question, and i'm sad to say i didn't see any of the friday night games, so i don't know what 3 guys in inside out shirts look like doing a game, but i do know this, we all have blown an inadvertant whistle at some point in our carreers, and this official remedied the situation correctly, why should he face more of a punishment then a player would recieve for physically assaulting a referee?
Good point. Should we be flattered that we are held to a standard of perfection????

Players and coaches make slightly better money than the officials. Players and coaches regularly make bad decisions that cost games. They don't get a 3-game suspension, as a general rule. "Gee Kobe, you should have passed off to Shaq instead of pulling up for the 3! You're suspended!"
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Surely if the NBA want more accurate call from referees
all they need to do is use video replays it seems to work in the NFL and NHL
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 10:05am
Whack! Get Out!!!

There are plenty of sites dedicated to "bad officiating" -- if you want to bash officials, go find one of them.

Don't be surprised if your attack on an official (especially calling them cowards and/or liars) are quickly and summarily deleted. If you continue posting in the same manner, you will probably find your account deleted as well.

In other words, "Whack! Get out!"

Thanks,
Brad