The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Red face

I want to preface this question; this is NOT a question I have, but rather a question from a goofy official whom I work with from time to time. What is the basket, by definition? Do you consider the backboard as part of the basket? Hence, BI when ball on the rim and opponent hits the backboard. He wants to have the option to call BI. He says he will check out the responses tonight.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
I want to preface this question; this is NOT a question I have, but rather a question from a goofy official whom I work with from time to time. What is the basket, by definition? Do you consider the backboard as part of the basket? Hence, BI when ball on the rim and opponent hits the backboard. He wants to have the option to call BI. He says he will check out the responses tonight.
Ring, flange, braces, net.

It was specifically defined in the "court and equipment" section a few years ago (3 or 4?) then removed without comment. You can derive it from one of the definitions, now.

Here's the NCAA definition:

Section 13. Baskets—Size, Material
Art. 1. Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches inside
diameter, its flange and braces, and a white-cord, 12-mesh net, 15 to 18
inches in length, suspended from beneath the ring.

Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

What is the basket, by definition?
NCAA 4.3
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Rules 1.10.1

Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches in inside diameter, its flange and braces, and a white-cord 12-mesh net, 15-18 inches in length, suspended from beneath the ring.

And why would he want to call this?
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:47am
In Memoriam

Bart, get someone to read FED rule 1-10-1 to your goofy friend. "Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring,...,it's flange and braces and a white-cord 12-mesh net...".

He wasn't serious,was he?
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Bart, get someone to read FED rule 1-10-1 to your goofy friend. "Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring,...,it's flange and braces and a white-cord 12-mesh net...".

He wasn't serious,was he?
Yes, he is serious and I did read the rule to him. He says he has been told and seen at camps (on the mens' side) that if the ball is about to go in and the def. slaps the backboard the they would rather count the basket instead of giving the T. He says at camps they only want the T if it is clear there was no attempt to block the shot. Since he will be checking this out this forum for the first time, if he has the guts to reply go easy on him. He is a good official and I do enjoy working with him.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 12:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
He says he has been told and seen at camps (on the mens' side) that if the ball is about to go in and the def. slaps the backboard the they would rather count the basket instead of giving the T. He says at camps they only want the T if it is clear there was no attempt to block the shot. Since he will be checking this out this forum for the first time, if he has the guts to reply go easy on him. He is a good official and I do enjoy working with him.

[/B][/QUOTE]Mr. Goofy Friend Of Bart's, please read FED casebook 10.3.5. There is no rule that will allow you to call BI unless the player actually touches the ball or basket when the ball is on or within the basket, or if he actually touches the ball when it's in the cylinder. That's NFHS rule 9-11, and there's nothing anywhere in either the FED or NCAA rule books that would let you call BI outside of those parameters.

Please, MR. Goofy Friend Of Bart's, do NOT make this call. It will make your friend, Bart, also look like a goof by association.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Here's the NCAA definition:

Section 13. Baskets—Size, Material
Art. 1. Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches inside
diameter, its flange and braces, and a white-cord, 12-mesh net, 15 to 18
inches in length, suspended from beneath the ring.
The funny thing is that the NCAA (through a memo, I think) has ruled that a second, smaller ring directly below the required single metal ring is legal. I wonder if that will make it into the rulebook next year. This was a test question this year.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Dear Mr. Goofy Friend of Bart's

This is JR's way of going easy on you - he really can be much worse if he gets to know you
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Who cares?

I don't know the definition of a basket is, but I tell you what. . . I know one when I see one!
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Bart

Your "friend" isn't of the same ilk as BBallCoach, is he?
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Bart

Quote:
Originally posted by One-Whistle
Your "friend" isn't of the same ilk as BBallCoach, is he?
OOooooo God NO... EEEeeeekkkkk