The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Last night I worked a HS game. On the way home my partner told me he assessed a T in another HS game. Play as follows; A1 does an awesome dunk, then he immediately runs down the sideline waving his arms up and down to the crowd in excitement. Beep T. (unsporting) I told him if he had done it to the opponents then you could call it taunting. To the crow, I didn't think so. What do you think?
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
To the crow, I didn't think so.
Eat some crow, kid!
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Last night I worked a HS game. On the way home my partner told me he assessed a T in another HS game. Play as follows; A1 does an awesome dunk, then he immediately runs down the sideline waving his arms up and down to the crowd in excitement. Beep T. (unsporting) I told him if he had done it to the opponents then you could call it taunting. To the crowd, I didn't think so. What do you think?
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 10:43am
In Memoriam

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
[i] Play as follows; A1 does an awesome dunk, then he immediately runs down the sideline waving his arms up and down to the crowd in excitement. Beep T. (unsporting) I told him if he had done it to the opponents then you could call it taunting. To the crowd, I didn't think so. What do you think?
I agree with you, Bart. That's not unsporting behavior. Therefore no justification for an unsporting T. Certainly not the purpose and intent of the "taunting" rule, imo.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Was it not a point of emphasis last year to include self promoting or playing to the crowd as taunting.Doing the raise the roof does both and by NF guidelines a T could be called.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Was it not a point of emphasis last year to include self promoting or playing to the crowd as taunting.
It was this year's rulebook. Here's the POE:

Quote:
A. Taunting/Self-Promotion: Players are increasingly directing their celebratory actions toward opponents, which should be interpreted as taunting and baiting, and penalized accordingly. Further, the committee is concerned with the trend toward players "playing to the crowd," attempting to increase attention and praise for their own individual accomplishments rather than toward the game itself and team achievements. While many of these actions are not specifically illegal by rule, extreme behaviors could and should be considered taunting and baiting of the opponents. Officials should remind captains and coaches at the pre-game conference that all actions and reactions should demonstrate appropriate sporting behavior.
I guess the question here is whether waving the arms or raising the roof are "extreme behaviors". Tough call.

BTW, the underlining is mine. It's not emphasized in the rulebook.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 11:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Was it not a point of emphasis last year to include self promoting or playing to the crowd as taunting.Doing the raise the roof does both and by NF guidelines a T could be called.
If that's your interpretation, then I guess that you could call a T. I don't agree with your interpretation.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Agree with Blindzebra, it is in the POE this year as chuck points out. The suggestion is to make it part of pregame with coaches and captains. I might hit my whistle before the inbound and let that player know immediately that the behavior is inappropriate and can be considered taunting. But for the record, this is more likely to happen earlier in a game than later.

I don't think I'd T him. Might let the coach know on a dead ball if it is later in the game what I think of that behavior and how I might interpret such self promoting.

(However, I was not at your friends game. Can't say that he was wrong considering this is a story twice removed.)
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 11:41am
In Memoriam

Question Would it make a difference?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
If that's your interpretation, then I guess that you could call a T. I don't agree with your interpretation.
JR,
Could the action be adjudged by perceived intent?
Could it be incitement, while performing such an act while looking at opponent's bench/fans as opposed to looking at floor, own fans/bench?

mick
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 11:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
[/B]
JR,
Could the action be adjudged by perceived intent?
Could it be incitement, while performing such an act while looking at opponent's bench/fans as opposed to looking at floor, own fans/bench?

[/B][/QUOTE]Mick, I think that it's strictly a judgement call by the official, and that each situation you run into is probably different,and should be judged in the context in which it occured in that particular game.I agree that,if you think that the player is focusing his actions to the other team's bench or fans, a T is probably appropriate. I didn't think that that was the case in the play that Bart described, though. That one seemed to me just a case of an excitable ballplayer trying to get his own fans going. Jmo, but I want to be 100% sure when I call a T that that T was warranted. Any doubt in my mind, I try to keep away from them. Might whisper to the player to chill a l'il bit, though, if I think that he's coming close.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't think that that was the case in the play that Bart described, though. That one seemed to me just a case of an excitable ballplayer trying to get his own fans going. [/B]
This is the way it was described to me. I didn't ask if the player was at Home or visitors. I don't think this would make a difference, what do you think?
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
I did not interpret,I was not there,thus the COULD BE CALLED.If you have a spotaneous,non rehearsed gesture fine,
but something directed at the stands that only draws attention to the player IS taunting per NF.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim Armstrong
As previously mentioned, this type of action listed under
1. A. Sporting Behavior of the 2003- 2004 NF points of emphasis. In fact, it specifically talks about
"playing to the crowd" Of course there is always going to be judgment invloved, but it is pretty clear that the rules committee wanted this type of action judged as taunting of the opponent.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 05:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't think that that was the case in the play that Bart described, though. That one seemed to me just a case of an excitable ballplayer trying to get his own fans going.
This is the way it was described to me. I didn't ask if the player was at Home or visitors. I don't think this would make a difference, what do you think?

[/B]
If it's an excitable player that's just trying to get his own fans going, I can't see any basis, or need, for a T. Nothing unsporting at all there, imo.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Yes!

Oh wait...

Last night in my intramural game, I was trail and called a foul up between the foul line and the arc and called it on the floor. I stepped in yelling "on the ground" and waving my arms to call off the shot.

Player then procedes to start waving his arms mocking my selling of the call. Bam, T.

Might have been the same kid who chased me off the court . . . even though he won.