The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 12:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Cool I think you need to stay off the coffee.

What the hell are you asking then? If you want all of the levels to be the same, that probably will never happen. As I said before, I really do not have enough knowledge about what is good mechanics or bad mechanics, because I am not a college official. But I do know several and a few that are at the D1 level, and all of them have told me about many of the differences and how it relates to different conferences. Now maybe the NCAA (or CCA) needs to set some standards that will satisfy you, but they probably will not anytime soon. I really do not see the need for uniformity like you suggest, who cares if the game is called properly and the partners on the game understand what is going on. Even when I work with officials that use some college mechanics, I do not care at all as long as they call their foul and tell me what we are doing after that. Their signals mean nothing to me, because it will affect them much more than it will affect me (and I am talking about post-season opportunities).

Well, if this is all that it takes to get you hot and bothered, I would really hate to see you out on a court where the pressure really is on.

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
I do know how assignors work...BUT that is NOT what I'm trying to get at! I'm not debating anything that the assignors do!! I know that there are different ones for almost every conference! Geesh!

I guess my plea to each level's officials for a standard set of mechanics will just go unheard...just disregard all my previous posts.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 02:22pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Quote:
when I see poor mechanics on display by guys making SEVERAL hundreds more than me...well, I can't help but laugh.
If you saw their paycheck you would be crying - not laughing!

I think that you should wait until you get to that level to start making suggestions as to what the NCAA should do nationwide. I'm not saying that changes aren't necessary, but until you have "walked a mile" how can you be the one to suggest them.

Bottom line - coaches couldn't give a rat's behind about mechanics - they want the plays called correctly and referees that they can talk to. If coaches like a certain official, he is going to be around for a long time - regardless of how poor his mechanics may be.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Unhappy I give up...

Rut, I don't drink coffee. And I'm not calling for uniformity. I'm just commenting on how nice it would be if you had uniformity at each level, NOT ALL TOGETHER. We do have some uniformity on the NF level. Again, it would be nice if there were some sort of uniformity on the NCAA level. And, I believe there already is some uniformity at the NBA level.

Batt, I know how much they make at higher levels...and, in a sense, I AM crying. However, as you've inferred, I'm not making suggestions or calling to change things. At least not yet. Again, I merely stating/commenting that it sure would be nice to standardize like the NF does.

I give up! Next topic, please...

[Edited by Indy_Ref on Dec 13th, 2000 at 01:51 PM]
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 04:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Cool From the top

My final comment about this, if there is going to be any uniformity, it is going to have to come from the NF. They are the organization that changes last. In all sports it always start from the top down to the bottom. That is just the way it is.

Quote:
Rut, I don't drink coffee. And I'm not calling for uniformity. I'm just commenting on how nice it would be if you had uniformity at each level, NOT ALL TOGETHER. We do have some uniformity on the NF level. Again, it would be nice if there were some sort of uniformity on the NCAA level. And, I believe there already is some uniformity at the NBA level.

Batt, I know how much they make at higher levels...and, in a sense, I AM crying. However, as you've inferred, I'm not making suggestions or calling to change things. At least not yet. Again, I merely stating/commenting that it sure would be nice to standardize like the NF does.

I give up! Next topic, please...

[Edited by Indy_Ref on Dec 13th, 2000 at 01:51 PM]
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do know how assignors work...BUT that is NOT what I'm trying to get at! I'm not debating anything that the assignors do!! I know that there are different ones for almost every conference! Geesh!

I guess my plea to each level's officials for a standard set of mechanics will just go unheard...just disregard all my previous posts.
I think what Jeff was saying is that you haven't (yet) given us any examples of where officials had different mechanics other than where different mechanics are allowed.

For example: Some bird dog, some don't: bird dogging is optional and used when there could be confusion on who the foul is on. That's up to the judgment of the officials. So, you might sometimes see a birddog (official thought clarification was necessary) and sometimes not (official thought it was clear).

Example 2: Some stop clock, some don't: The stop clock signal is not used on an out of bounds call; it is used on other violations.

If an official bird dogs "too much" (whatever that means) or stops the clock when it's not needed (or vice-versa), then the assignor will make a note of it and let the official know. You, as a fan watching the game, won't know whether the official "made a mistake" or correctly used alternate mechanics.

Hope that helps.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

we're more likely to get a national standard balloting procedure before we get a blanket NCAA mechanic standard
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

re. indy ref

I agree with you 100%. Sometimes you may work with an offical who may call juco or div II college and they don't know what mechanics to use, yes they do it right and look very good doing it but you are both not on the same page. Being a 2 sport offical, baseball and basketball I see it more in baseball with the few signals that are used. It is just easier to adjust in baseball. If you work higher level games I beleive that you should either use the proper NF mechanics or not work the lower level and try to make your partner adapt to you.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I give up...

Quote:
Rut, I don't drink coffee. And I'm not calling for uniformity. I'm just commenting on how nice it would be if you had uniformity at each level, NOT ALL TOGETHER. ...
I learned a lot about the history of the "uniform mechanics" debate in the NBA by reading the late Earl Strom's book, "Calling the Shots." He talks a great deal about the two schools of thought (one stressing individualism, the other stressing uniformity.) Strom, a decidely "old school" NBA ref, favored individualism and often ran afoul of the league's increasing demands for uniformity.

Unfortunately, the book is out of print. Barnes and Noble's web site found me a copy.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Words of Encouragement to All

INDY

Please do not become discouraged about the posts that have been made on this thread. I think it illustrates that we are all individuals who uniquely "interpret" and apply the rules and mechanics of the game. (Hopefully all within an acceptable parameter of fairness to the sport at the level we are calling.)

Again, I say lead by example! Do your best to be the best. That means showing up with an attitude of professionalism. The players deserve it.

In the two years that I have officiated, I have seen many "Ultra" egos (coaches and officials alike) that really detracted from the purpose of the event (game). Ultimately, (IMHO) the only "value" these types of people have is to demonstrate examples of what NOT to be.

As for "uniformity" in mechanics, I believe (especially at the colegiate level) it is idealistic, but not realistic.

Closing observation: You can only control what YOU do. Do the right thing and you can not go wrong.