View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
I do know how assignors work...BUT that is NOT what I'm trying to get at! I'm not debating anything that the assignors do!! I know that there are different ones for almost every conference! Geesh!

I guess my plea to each level's officials for a standard set of mechanics will just go unheard...just disregard all my previous posts.
I think what Jeff was saying is that you haven't (yet) given us any examples of where officials had different mechanics other than where different mechanics are allowed.

For example: Some bird dog, some don't: bird dogging is optional and used when there could be confusion on who the foul is on. That's up to the judgment of the officials. So, you might sometimes see a birddog (official thought clarification was necessary) and sometimes not (official thought it was clear).

Example 2: Some stop clock, some don't: The stop clock signal is not used on an out of bounds call; it is used on other violations.

If an official bird dogs "too much" (whatever that means) or stops the clock when it's not needed (or vice-versa), then the assignor will make a note of it and let the official know. You, as a fan watching the game, won't know whether the official "made a mistake" or correctly used alternate mechanics.

Hope that helps.