Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Smile

LONG POST WARNING...I'M A TAD EXCITED
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Ballen
Will be working the 8TH GRADE BOYS #2 AA DIVISION City Championship tonight! It'll be standing room only and ROCKING! I'm stoked!
You HAVE been working hard to get this kind of game in your first year! Enjoy every minute of it, and be sure to let us know how it goes... er,... went!
It went great! What a blast. Last night's game was played in a high school gym with about 800 people watching and screaming.

Blue beat Green by one point on a last second three at the horn. The blue coach burning his last TO with 8 seconds on the clock set up the play.

I was careful to talk with the table and set up help in the event the horn didn't work as time expired. Do you do this? The clock person is responsible for watching time expire and the book person watches the shooter. Trail is responsible for the play. In any event the horn worked and we didn't need the help.

The game was a defensive battle. Green played tough inside, staying vertical and blocking shots. The crowd wanted fouls but my partner and I called few. Green was well coached and played with their hands and arms straight up. Blue was taking away the space when there was any body contact...NC. Crowd screamed but eventually settled down to watch a great defensive effort by both teams.

Blue just kept attacking and playing tough defense too. Blue took away Green's perimeter game and challenged the taller green inside. They fouled more than Green but didn't get frustrated. They were well coached too.

Blue started fouling with 1:30ish on the clock. Green missed the front end of three 1-1's. I didn't call the first foul intentional as blue made a play on the ball. I didn't call the rest intentional either. Should I have?
Blue used the strategy to win the game.

It was my first championship in that type of environment. The sound of the crowd erupting as the shot went through is one I'll never forget.

I love this game!
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Green was well coached ....

Blue took away Green's perimeter game ... They were well coached too.

It was my first championship in that type of environment. The sound of the crowd erupting as the shot went through is one I'll never forget.

I love this game!
The secret to a great game is clipped from your post above -- coaching. Especially at the 8th grade level, the coach's attitude makes such a huge difference in how well the kids play.

You really had a great set-up, and you milked it for all the pleasure you could get out of it. Great job.

I guess we need to buy a couple dozen little stuffed monkeys in striped shirts to put onto people's backs. We're recruiting them fast and furious now!
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I was careful to talk with the table and set up help in the event the horn didn't work as time expired. Do you do this? The clock person is responsible for watching time expire and the book person watches the shooter. Trail is responsible for the play. In any event the horn worked and we didn't need the help.
Why do this?

The officials on the floor are responsible for whether the last second shot counts. You have given the table a vote, and they will demand it be heard if your decision goes against theirs. Besides this, how is one guy watching the clock & another guy watching the shooter going to help to resolve anything?

So, to answer your question - no, I have never done this and no, I will never do this.