The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Team A is warming up and the officials notice that all members of this team are wearing black uniform shorts, except for two players. One has on white uniform shorts and the other is wearing a pair of street blue jeans. What, if anything, should the referee do? Can these players participate or do they need to change there pants?? Please site which rules apply!
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

The player in jeans isn't playing no matter what level of play this is.

I believe that the uniform rule only addresses jersey color, not shorts. I would let the player in white shorts play - some schools don't have budget for enough uniforms and fill in with stuff as best they can.

Z
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I've never personally seen blue jeans on a player, but the rules specifically allow for "pants/skirt". If the jeans aren't dangerous, not sure there's any reason to disallow them. Particularly if it's clear that it's a financial or modesty issue.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Safety first!

The original posting does not give enough information. What was the setting? 5th grade Rec league or Varsity hoops?

A situation to illustrate my point: I officiated a 7th Grade boys tourney last weekend. One team was from an area that is economically-depressed; has been since the major employer pulled out several years ago. The players had t-shirts with “permanent marker” numbers scribbled on them. None of the shorts matched and nearly all the kids had shoes that looked like it was the only pair they owned. The team was less organized and less skilled than the other teams, mostly due to a lack of practice time. However, the team was full of cheerful participants, “Yes, Sir!”, “Thank you, Sir!”, etc… INCLUDING the coaching staff and parents.

Unless the uniform situation is a safety concern, I am not prohibiting a player from participating in this scenario.

BTW: IMO, the above-mentioned team was the true winners in that tourney even though they lost all their games by double digit margins.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 08:26pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

I believe that the uniform rule only addresses jersey color, not shorts. I would let the player in white shorts play - some schools don't have budget for enough uniforms and fill in with stuff as best they can.

Z

Why can't the player in the blue jeans shorts play? Please state rule and casebook references.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 09:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
[/B]
Why can't the player in the blue jeans shorts play? Please state rule and casebook references.

[/B][/QUOTE]One rule you can always use is Rule 3-5. That one says that it's up to the referee's judgement as to whether the player has "apparel" on that may be dangerous to other players. I don't have a problem with blue jean shorts. I can definitely see a problem though with the belt loops on blue jean shorts. Or wide, gaping pockets. Or maybe metal studs on the pockets.

Comments?
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

If the jeans are really baggy, and overly long, as we kids like to wear them, i could see that as a safety concern. We were told that if it has belt loops or zippers it can't be worn, but we have to enforce this with reason.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 10:02pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

[/B]
One rule you can always use is Rule 3-5. That one says that it's up to the referee's judgement as to whether the player has "apparel" on that may be dangerous to other players. I don't have a problem with blue jean shorts. I can definitely see a problem though with the belt loops on blue jean shorts. Or wide, gaping pockets. Or maybe metal studs on the pockets.

Comments? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, I have a comment. "Don't go there girlfriend."

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
I can definitely see a problem though with the belt loops on blue jean shorts. Or wide, gaping pockets. Or maybe metal studs on the pockets.

Comments?
I don't know about pockets or belts, but the metal studs on some jeans were the one thing that popped into my mind as a potential problem. I wouldn't allow the metal studs (or belt buckle, I guess), but other than that, there's nothing about denim shorts that is illegal.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 10:40pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I can definitely see a problem though with the belt loops on blue jean shorts. Or wide, gaping pockets. Or maybe metal studs on the pockets.

Comments?
I don't know about pockets or belts, but the metal studs on some jeans were the one thing that popped into my mind as a potential problem. I wouldn't allow the metal studs (or belt buckle, I guess), but other than that, there's nothing about denim shorts that is illegal.

I know that people are worried about the metal studs on the jeans pockets, but if anyone can find pictures of players from the 20's, 30's, 40's, and 50's, one will find quite a few pictures showing the players wearing shorts that have belts with metal buckles. How did the officials handle that problem back then.

I am sure that the jeans situation does not very often during the school year. One will find jeans more often when the summer league and summer camp season roles around when the players show up to play with a shirt in their school colors and a number if they are lucky on the back of the jersey. Personally, jeans are not a problem that I worry about.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 02:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
One rule you can always use is Rule 3-5. That one says that it's up to the referee's judgement as to whether the player has "apparel" on that may be dangerous to other players. I don't have a problem with blue jean shorts. I can definitely see a problem though with the belt loops on blue jean shorts. Or wide, gaping pockets. Or maybe metal studs on the pockets.

Comments? [/B]

Yes, I have a comment. "Don't go there girlfriend."

[/B][/QUOTE]Why? That was a legitimate question, and those were all legitimate safety concerns. And the referee, using the language of R3-5, can rule the blue jean shorts illegal if he has the same concerns.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

I can't imagine this in a HS game. I just don't see it. At all other levels, I don't have a problem with this and I don't think that any rule specifically disallows it.

I don't think the studs are a danger. I might dissallow the belt if the player is wearing one I deem unsafe.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Z

MTD, Sr.
Actually, the original post does not mention blue jeans "shorts" -- it only mentions blue jeans.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 02:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Nothing says they have to wear shorts, as opposed to pants, does it? Take the belt off, sure, but I don't see any reason to disallow the jeans.