The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

I have read that coaches and the refeeres share a common substance, both love the game. Coaches get their team ready for the games and refs get their selves ready to make the right calls. In my opinion i think refeering is one the best positions to be. Granted that officials do have a tendency to make enemies just for the simple fact that they are officials. Refeering is just like anything else. It has advantages and disadvantages. My dad refeered for 15 yrs. but i don't remember very much about it because i was a small kid. But now since i have grown up i have a passion for refeering. And everybody i talk says that they wouldn't do it for anything. To me thats the beauty of it. It may not be the easiest thing in the world to do. But it can be a beautiful thing if done for the right reason. I have a great amount of respect tfor those that have been refeering for a long time that deserves alot of gratitude. So to all of those that have been leaders in the past and that are leaders now THANKYOU. I hope that officials can always get the recognition that they deserve. I hope to be this kind of leader in the future. Again thanks.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Amen!

Actually, I have made a lot more friends than enemies. People react to one play or another for the moment. Nearly always, I will see them later and they share a friendly bond. This applies to playes, coaches, and fans. I really do love to do this. That's the big secret that most refs have and others don't realize.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Why do we officiate?

Everybody officiates for a different reason.
I started in 1973 as a fill-in for intramural college refs that didn't show up. Working frosh and JV became great learning experiences. Getting to HS varsity was a bigger challenge. I eventually moved up and did JC men and women and D2 and D1 women's.
All along the way I made mistakes and learned from most of them (I had awesome old-timers as mentors.
Now I just work rec stuff, but have nurtured an assignment "agency" that has grown into a nice year round business.
I'm proud of many that have come through.
You see them mature, learn, make lots of friends, and earn some money along the way.
I just wish that more would give their best efforts instead of being satisfied with mediocrity (even though they think that they're doing a good job)and pleased that they've made a few bucks.
Reffing can be so much fun if done right.
You can make some "friendships for a lifetime".
Officiating has been my life for over 25 years.
To all those who toil in obscurity with the old rec rats and the new youth teams, I say, "Give them their money's worth!" "Deal with whatever comes your way with dignity and common sense", and "enjoy the ride".
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

the great game

I a have two games tonight to ref and i am reffing with a certified ref. hopefully i can let you know how we did and get some opinions.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

the game tonight

Me and my partner reffed two games tonight everything went pretty smooth. I am doing as many games as possible to get myself ready for the upcoming season.

However i do have a question A1 is shooting a free throw due to a foul but before he shoots a player attempts to leave the mark by the shooter in order to cover the back court, but before he leaves i point my finger at him and say no wait. after the shooter shoots the first shot i then blow my whistle to let him go to the back court then to sub in a player. If i had of the let the player leave the mark that would be a violation correct? i would like your opinion.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 10:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Re: the game tonight

Quote:
Originally posted by wilkey1979
However i do have a question A1 is shooting a free throw due to a foul but before he shoots a player attempts to leave the mark by the shooter in order to cover the back court, but before he leaves i point my finger at him and say no wait. after the shooter shoots the first shot i then blow my whistle to let him go to the back court then to sub in a player. If i had of the let the player leave the mark that would be a violation correct? i would like your opinion.
Once the ball is at the disposal of the shooter, players along the lane may not leave their spaces until the ball hits either the rim or backboard (or there's a whistle for a dead ball because the shot is deemed to have no chance to go into the basket). If they do, it's a violation.

You do know how to call the violation depending on which team violates, don't you?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

passion for refeering

Is that anything like a passion for reefer-ing?
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

comment on the question violation depending on which team

If the home team is shooting and this happens they don't get another shot if it's their own player. But if it isn't their own player they get another shot, correct or am i wrong. your advice
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

If the defense violates, you hold your arm straight out with a fist made to indicate a delayed violation. If the free throw is made you do nothing, if it is missed, blow the whistle, announce the number of the violator and award a substitute free throw.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

a great game

I watched an outstanding H.S. game tonight. What i was really impressd with the fact that the home team shot a three to take the lead but the shooter was on the line when he shot therefore it was a two.I had a good view and he was on the line. The coach of the opposing team got on the ref that signaled the three the coach yelled at him pretty much straight for about a minute or so. But the ref kept his cool and he talked to the coach calmed him down and the game went pretty good from their. I commend the ref he was a good friend of mine. I think he showed good maturity and the refs showed very good mechanics. I just thought that i might pass this along. good job refs.