The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

What is the penalty for the following after the opening tipoff?
These players are in the game.

1. Rubber band on the wrist?
2. Wrist bands that do not match a color on a jersey?
3. Head bands of teammates that are not the same color?
4. Head bands that are not the same as the primary color of a jersey?
5. Blue T shirt under a red jersey with blue trim?
6. T shirt that is white under a black jersey with yellow trim?
7. Any jewelry?

What if they are not in the game? ie. substitutes?
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

I thought it was a technical foul for players with jewelry - NCAA.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ

No penalty, but must be removed.

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with either of those. Headbands simply have to be of a single color. It doesn't say they have to match the shirt.

Quote:

Player should be sent to the bench to remove the t-shirt. I believe the trim color of the shirt is irrelevant. The t-shirt must be similar in color to the primary color of the jersey.

If the player is not yet in the game, do not allow him/her to sub in until the t-shirt is removed.

Quote:
7. Any jewelry?
Gotta come off immediately. If removal involves any significant delay, the player should be sent to the bench and replaced.

In any of these cases (except the headband and wristbands), the player may not "buy" the offending items into the game with a T. It comes off or it's pine city, baby. No penalty, but no playing time, either.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Chuck, but I seem to remember when this was a T. Isn't that why we started asking coaches if his/her players were properly equipped? I'm sure MTD can provide some history.

Mregor
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
I agree with Chuck, but I seem to remember when this was a T. Isn't that why we started asking coaches if his/her players were properly equipped? I'm sure MTD can provide some history.

Mregor
In Wisconsin it was a Team T prior to this season. It was a Wisconsin adaptation.

Mark
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck is right with the NCAA rules. I would be surprized though if this happened very often after tip-off if we as a crew are paying attention. I have never seen a player ADD jewlery after warm-ups. While watching the teams warm-up I look for jewlery, rubber bands miscoloured under-shirts etc. I often talk to them and remind them to remove the items. I have mentioned these items in coachs and captains meetings (depending on the level). I also look very closly when the team break their huddles and are coming onto the court.

I believe for the most part this is the type of thing that we can deal with before tip off. We should defenitly look at all subs before we beckon them onto the floor to play.

In the end there really is no foul penalty just a delay in having to deal with it once the game has started. Getting it before tip off really helps with game managment and the flow of the game.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 11:08pm
Administrator

When a player is found to be wearing jewelry during the game, the player must leave the game. The player cannot renter the game until the next opportunity to substitute and of course the player must be sans the jewelry. A player cannot buy his/her way into the game with a technical foul. These requirments are for both NFHS and NCAA.

Yes, I did T up a player for wearing jewelry once. It was in an AAU girls' 18U qualifying tournament to the national tournament. AAU girls' use NCAA Women's rules. During the warmups I noticed a A1 wearing ear rings. I reminded her that she could not wear jewelry and play in the game. She told me that she would remove them. In the seconc half, Team A had requested and been granted a timeout. I was T, table side, and was going to administer Team A' throw-in after the timeout in front of its bench. A1 was the player that was going to make the throw-in. Just before I was going to give her the ball. A1 pulled her hair back from her ears, to reveal band aids over her ears. I asked her if she was covering her ear rings with the band aids. She said yes. I charged her with at unsportsmanlike technical foul and told the coach to substitute for A1, and that A1 could not return to the game until the next opportunity to substitute sans the ear rings.

A1's grandmother was very upset with me. She told me that her granddaughter had just had her ears piecered in a religious ceremony and she could not take them out. I had to bite my tounge to keep from busting a gut.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 11:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ

Flogging
Life in prison without parole
Five minutes locked in a closet with "The Nanny"
Must yell "Ball ball ball ball ball" for 10 minutes
Loss of potential college scholarship
Must dress as cheerleaders for the rest of the game
7. Any jewelry?
Road trip with Michael Jackson

Players are seatbelted on top of coaches
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 11:19pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ

Flogging
Life in prison without parole
Five minutes locked in a closet with "The Nanny"
Must yell "Ball ball ball ball ball" for 10 minutes
Loss of potential college scholarship
Must dress as cheerleaders for the rest of the game
7. Any jewelry?
Road trip with Michael Jackson

Players are seatbelted on top of coaches

Mark:

Your post made my day. I think that you should send these recommendations to the NFHS and NCAA rules committees for their considereation.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 02:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
When a player is found to be wearing jewelry during the game, the player must leave the game.

Here we go again. For the umpteenth time!

Mark, please quote a rule, casebook play, or anything that will back this statement up. It is simply not true, but is just your interpretation only. The official can have a player in the game simply remove the jewelry, without leaving the game, if it doesn't take up too much time. See NFHS casebook play 3.5.5SitA. That play refers to a player wearing jewelry who has already been beckoned and has entered the court. It says- "No penalty is involved. A6 cannot simply participate until the illegal items are removed". Note that it specifically does not say that the player must leave the game and be substituted for.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 04:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dewey1
I have never seen a player ADD jewlery after warm-ups.
Dewey, maybe you don't work too many girls games. I do, and I see things added back, A LOT. Clippies at the back of the head, under the ponytail are the most common. I also regularly see hairbands magically appear on wrists. I've also seen the occasional earring re-appear after half-time. The part I don't understand is why the coaches don't just make them leave it all in the locker room.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dewey1
I have never seen a player ADD jewlery after warm-ups.
Dewey, maybe you don't work too many girls games. I do, and I see things added back, A LOT. Clippies at the back of the head, under the ponytail are the most common. I also regularly see hairbands magically appear on wrists. I've also seen the occasional earring re-appear after half-time. The part I don't understand is why the coaches don't just make them leave it all in the locker room.
Boys Varsity game last week. Player A1 was about to shoot a FT. Umpire was administering FT. He stopped, just before he bounced the ball to A1 and walked toward him. I was wondering what he was doing. The umpire took the rubberband from the player, which had been on his wrist, and continued with FT administration.

At halftime I told the umpire we should have caught that in warm-ups...he stated that it wasn't there in warm-ups. So there you go...even guys can add "stuff" occassionaly.
And I agree with JR...don't remove player from game...just get the junk off and continue playing.

Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 09:51pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
When a player is found to be wearing jewelry during the game, the player must leave the game.

Mark, please quote a rule, casebook play, or anything that will back this statement up. It is simply not true, but is just your interpretation only. The official can have a player in the game simply remove the jewelry, without leaving the game, if it doesn't take up too much time. See NFHS casebook play 3.5.5SitA. That play refers to a player wearing jewelry who has already been beckoned and has entered the court. It says- "No penalty is involved. A6 cannot simply participate until the illegal items are removed". Note that it specifically does not say that the player must leave the game and be substituted for.

JR:

Read the Casebook Play again. It refers to a substitute who wants to enter the game. NFHS R3-S5-A6 specifically prohibits the wearing of jewelry. An official cannot make a player remove prohibited equipment. When a player is found to be wearing jewelry while in the game, the player must leave the game until the prohibited equipment is removed. A player who is wearing jewelry while playing has forfeited his/her privilege to play in the game until the player becomes legal.

The real problem is that many coaches get upset when officials make a player leave the game for wearing jewelry until the player is legal and there are too many officials do not want to do the correct thing and have the player sit until he/she is legal because they do not want to deal with an irrational coach.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

I'm still trying to understand why everyone gets their ears pierced during the basketball season.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 10:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

JR:

Read the Casebook Play again. It refers to a substitute who wants to enter the game. NFHS R3-S5-A6 specifically prohibits the wearing of jewelry. An official cannot make a player remove prohibited equipment. When a player is found to be wearing jewelry while in the game, the player must leave the game until the prohibited equipment is removed. A player who is wearing jewelry while playing has forfeited his/her privilege to play in the game until the player becomes legal.

The real problem is that many coaches get upset when officials make a player leave the game for wearing jewelry until the player is legal and there are too many officials do not want to do the correct thing and have the player sit until he/she is legal because they do not want to deal with an irrational coach.
Uh, no, Mark, I think that you need to re-read that casebook play again. Casebook play 3.5.5SitA specifically refers to a player who has been beckoned and already entered the court.As per rule 3-3-3, a substitute becomes a player when he/she legally enters the court. That means that the player in casebook play 3.3.5SitA is not a substitute, but a player. The ruling for that casebook play is that the player cannot participate further until the jewelry is removed. There is no mention that the player must leave the game to remove the jewelry- it just simply says that the jewelry must be removed.Also, the rule that you quoted- R3-5-6 - does not say that a player must leave the game either. Nowhere in the rulebook or the casebook is it written that a player must leave the game, as far as I know. If you can come up with any rules citations that will back up your hypothesis, please feel free to post them. If not,.....

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Feb 4th, 2004 at 09:28 PM]