View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
[/B]
I am not ignoring R3-S3-A3. B1 commits a common foul against A2. B1's foul is Team B's seventh foul of the half. The calling official reports the foul. The Scorer tells him that Team A is not in the bonus. The callling official beckons A6 in to replace A2. A6 enters the court and A2 goes to the bench. This means that A2 cannot re-enter the game until the next opportunity to substitute after the game clock has started. Before the administering official places the ball at the disposal of Team A for the penalty throw-in for B1's foul, the Scorer signals the officials that Team A is in fact in the bonus. A6 must leave the game and A2 must re-enter the game to shoot his/her free throws. For all intents and purposes, A6 remained a substitute and A2 remained a player because of the bonus free throw situation. Why? A6 cannot replace A2 because A2 has free throws to attempt. The Casebook Play involving the substitute, A6, who is wearing jewelry is now different. A6, is not entitled to enter the game because he/she is not properly equipped and therefore cannot become a player.
[/B][/QUOTE]Mark, the case book play above isn't germane at all to the play that we're discussing. Does the replaced player HAVE to come back into the game in 3.3.5Sit(c)? Nope!! In 3.3.5SitA(c), A6 LEGALLY entered the game as per the language of R3-3-3 AND R4-34-3, and was NEVER replaced.

I will agree with you that the case book play that you cited IS similar in one way to 3.35SitA(c). Neither one of them states that a player HAS to leave the game if found wearing jewelry. If you ever find some rules language that does state that, please let me know.