View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 11:08pm
Administrator

When a player is found to be wearing jewelry during the game, the player must leave the game. The player cannot renter the game until the next opportunity to substitute and of course the player must be sans the jewelry. A player cannot buy his/her way into the game with a technical foul. These requirments are for both NFHS and NCAA.

Yes, I did T up a player for wearing jewelry once. It was in an AAU girls' 18U qualifying tournament to the national tournament. AAU girls' use NCAA Women's rules. During the warmups I noticed a A1 wearing ear rings. I reminded her that she could not wear jewelry and play in the game. She told me that she would remove them. In the seconc half, Team A had requested and been granted a timeout. I was T, table side, and was going to administer Team A' throw-in after the timeout in front of its bench. A1 was the player that was going to make the throw-in. Just before I was going to give her the ball. A1 pulled her hair back from her ears, to reveal band aids over her ears. I asked her if she was covering her ear rings with the band aids. She said yes. I charged her with at unsportsmanlike technical foul and told the coach to substitute for A1, and that A1 could not return to the game until the next opportunity to substitute sans the ear rings.

A1's grandmother was very upset with me. She told me that her granddaughter had just had her ears piecered in a religious ceremony and she could not take them out. I had to bite my tounge to keep from busting a gut.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio