Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
It was 1986-87 Season. It was my Freshman year in high school. I remember we all tried our best to hit that shot when this rule was put in.

Peace
This is so sad! When you were a freshman, I had already had a tour of duty in the Navy (64-68) and invested 17 years in my career. I must be really old.
Hey db, I take great pleasure in the knowledge that you finished navy boot before I finished my first year in little league!
Cute! Some day you will be my age and some other wise-a** will poke fun at you.
That's the plan!
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Yep, that is right.

Quote:
Quote:
It was 1986-87 Season. It was my Freshman year in high school. I remember we all tried our best to hit that shot when this rule was put in.

Peace
This is so sad! When you were a freshman, I had already had a tour of duty in the Navy (64-68) and invested 17 years in my career. I must be really old.
I will retire after 22 years (active and reserve) on Sunday - something else we have in common!
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Yep, that is right.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach

I will retire after 22 years (active and reserve) on Sunday - something else we have in common! [/B]
Congratulations, Coach, and thank you for your years of service to our country.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Yep, that is right.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Peace
I will retire after 22 years (active and reserve) on Sunday - something else we have in common!
Congratulations HC. I sometimes wish I had stayed in the reserve. When I enlisted (after receiving my draft notice), I had a choice of 2, 3, or 4 year tour. If 2 or 3, you had reserve duty to make up the total of 6 years. I took the 3 (guaranteed a class A school) and wound up being involuntarily extended for a year - Viet Nam, and then had 2 years reserve. The extra $$$ would always be nice to have.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

dblref
Obviously I entered in different times and circumstances than you. Many of your generation were ready to get away asap due to how they came in, what was going on, how they were treated, etc. I chose to go in and chose to leave active duty. I left because of what I didn't like (mostly the typical military junk), but I stayed Reserve because of what I did like (the work, the people, the travel, the opportunity to make a difference).

The Reserve actually treated you a lot better if you showed up and did a professional job. So I was able to do do what I liked doing (fly and fix planes), work with a great group of people, travel, provide a valuable service, and make a few bucks (and a retirement to boot) along the way. Not a bad life

I will miss it, but I won't miss giving up at least one weekend every month!
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: Re: Yep, that is right.

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
Quote:

Congratulations, Coach, and thank you for your years of service to our country. [/B]
I second that!
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
dblref
Obviously I entered in different times and circumstances than you. Many of your generation were ready to get away asap due to how they came in, what was going on, how they were treated, etc. I chose to go in and chose to leave active duty. I left because of what I didn't like (mostly the typical military junk), but I stayed Reserve because of what I did like (the work, the people, the travel, the opportunity to make a difference).

The Reserve actually treated you a lot better if you showed up and did a professional job. So I was able to do do what I liked doing (fly and fix planes), work with a great group of people, travel, provide a valuable service, and make a few bucks (and a retirement to boot) along the way. Not a bad life

I will miss it, but I won't miss giving up at least one weekend every month!
Hawks Coach: I may have given the wrong impression. The Navy was one of the better things that happened to me. At that point in time (when I got drafted), I was working in a mediocre job and not doing well in college (wasting my own $$). Service life made me grow and realize that "Momma" wasn't there anymore and it was up to me to take responsibility for my own actions. I have absolutely no regrets about going into the service. I was enlisted, but I think if I had been an officer, I might have stayed -- couple of great westpac cruises on the USS Oriskany (CVA-34). I was getting married (sea-life is tough on marriages) and I wanted to go back to college. Went 4-quarters a year for 3 years and got my degree.

BTW, my reserve unit met every Monday night for 4 hours, rather than one weekend. I think they did it that way because a lot of the guys were in college and working full time -- I was. 40 hours a week in a service station and 16 hours per quarter.