Thread: HS 3 pt. line
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
dblref
Obviously I entered in different times and circumstances than you. Many of your generation were ready to get away asap due to how they came in, what was going on, how they were treated, etc. I chose to go in and chose to leave active duty. I left because of what I didn't like (mostly the typical military junk), but I stayed Reserve because of what I did like (the work, the people, the travel, the opportunity to make a difference).

The Reserve actually treated you a lot better if you showed up and did a professional job. So I was able to do do what I liked doing (fly and fix planes), work with a great group of people, travel, provide a valuable service, and make a few bucks (and a retirement to boot) along the way. Not a bad life

I will miss it, but I won't miss giving up at least one weekend every month!
Hawks Coach: I may have given the wrong impression. The Navy was one of the better things that happened to me. At that point in time (when I got drafted), I was working in a mediocre job and not doing well in college (wasting my own $$). Service life made me grow and realize that "Momma" wasn't there anymore and it was up to me to take responsibility for my own actions. I have absolutely no regrets about going into the service. I was enlisted, but I think if I had been an officer, I might have stayed -- couple of great westpac cruises on the USS Oriskany (CVA-34). I was getting married (sea-life is tough on marriages) and I wanted to go back to college. Went 4-quarters a year for 3 years and got my degree.

BTW, my reserve unit met every Monday night for 4 hours, rather than one weekend. I think they did it that way because a lot of the guys were in college and working full time -- I was. 40 hours a week in a service station and 16 hours per quarter.