The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Looking for any advice on alternative to how we handled this situation: Last nights game, boys varsity. Partner T's home coach. Tells him he has to sit for the rest of the game. Administer the free throws. Partner goes to division line for throw in. On my way to L, I tell the coach he has to sit down. Get ready for the throw in. Coach is still standing, in fact walking toward endline. Partner steps toward bench about a quarter of the way toward the table and said" "coach you have to sit down". The coach then folds his arms across his chest and says, "or else what?" Whack, he found out what. He was asked to leave the gym. I stepped in after the second call and explained to the coach why he got the second T. Should I have explained the coaches rule when I told him to sit down? I don't think he should have had to be told more than three times to sit down. This happened three minutes into the game and was really unfortunate and put a damper on an otherwise great game. Home team lost by 1.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Being a varsity coach he should already know the seatbelt rule. IMO he was showing you up and I think a "T" was warranted.

What was his reaction once he received the second "T"?
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Tough. Sounds like you had to nail him.

I might have tried a little more preventative maintenance. Following the first T, you can be the one (as the non-calling official) to let him know he has lost his coaching box privileges. Explain what that means and what the consequences are.

If he fails to adhere, you can simply ask him to help you out here so we can get on with playing the ballgame. If he continues to stand and disregard, you should be the one to give him the second T. This will mean that each of you whacked him once and will give a better appearance that you each are able to handle the business. Also it will show that the coach had it coming.

I find that if I speak to a coach in firm and direct manner (as it sounds like you and your partner did) but in such a way that is between the two of us so he can save face with his team, I get better results. If I call out the coach and demand that they sit down in front of everyone, there is no way I can win. Either, he hates me because I admonished him in front of everyone- or he gets another T and leaves (possibly missing the next game, which this time of year is probably a conference game). Lose-lose.

Coaches are leaders and Type A personalities. It can be difficult for them to take direction but they often just need to see that it is what is best for the game, their players, and themselves.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Smoref is right. I missed that. A Varsity coach should know that much at least.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

yeah...if you get the "or else what?" then you pretty much have to nail him.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
Smoref is right. I missed that. A Varsity coach should know that much at least.
Yes, a varsity coach should be well aware of the seatbelt rule after the first T.

However, I agree with your response that the official that did not call the T should handle this. Once a coached is popped, emotions are probably high between the coach and the official.

I wouldn't give him a big long explanation, just "Coach, you have been issued a Technical foul, you are required to remain seated the remainder of the game." This conversation would take place face to face, not across the court.

If the coach then refuses to sit, a second T and ejection from the official that did not call the first T is the only option left.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 12:47pm
Suppref

The situation was handled correctly, and I agree the second official should have administered the second T.I have had a similar situation to this. I told the coach that he would be asked to leave the gym following the second T if it was administered. He looked at the scoreboard (down 20 with 6 minutes to play) then looked back at me with kind of a shrug. I told him it wasn't fair to the kids. He agreed said thanks and sat down. I then leaned into him so only he could hear and said,"If I have to watch this mess so do you." We had a good laugh and the game proceeded without incident. I suggest you know your audience before you try to joke about the game.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

If your partner T'd him,you and only you should give him the seat belt.You should go table side to observe the players,while the calling official handles the free throws.

From here you can give him his seat,allow him to vent,and
maybe save the game from further incident.

By your partner telling him,he twisted the knife a bit,by
telling him in passing you did not have a calming affect on the situation,and when your partner did it again,ACROSS
THE COURT,the coach felt he was being shown up and responded in kind.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Board28'er
In this situation, you had to give him the door. I agree that preventive officiating could have prevented this. I have been in this same situation, and what my partner did was walk over to the coach and "remind" him of the rule about sitting down.

He then deliberately told my partner that he wasn't going to sit. We put the ball in play and he walked right up to the edge of the coaches box to voice his opinion about the job we were doing......oh well.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all of your input. I, as the non calling official, did go tableside during the free throws. The coach was so calm throughout this situation it was unbeleivable. After the free throws, I walked by him and told him he would have to sit down. I never dreamed I would have to explain the coaches rule to a varsity coach. I was on the endline ready for the throw in as the L official when coach was still wandering around on the sideline. I just have a bad feeling about the whole situation and would have liked to have avoided it.