The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   HS 3 pt. line (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11979-hs-3-pt-line.html)

BigDave Fri Jan 30, 2004 04:21pm

When was the 3 pt line added to the high school game? I'm thinking 1988, but not sure.

I got some money on this, so get it right! :)

cmathews Fri Jan 30, 2004 04:30pm

BigDave, I wasn't an official at the time, so not sure, just throwing my 2 cents worth in the pot :D but I am guessing 86....looked in the handbook pg 16 in 1985 it was optional for each state, in 86 it was adopted and included...

JRutledge Fri Jan 30, 2004 04:39pm

Yep, that is right.

It was 1986-87 Season. It was my Freshman year in high school. I remember we all tried our best to hit that shot when this rule was put in.

Peace

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Jan 30, 2004 09:07pm

I'm thinking 87-88 season was the first, as my school was the one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the state that year, even though we went 13-10. We also damn near beat the eventual state champ in the district championship game. Missed a 3-pointer that could have sent us to state instead of them.

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Jan 30, 2004 09:10pm

A thought occurred to me after my last posting. It had to be 87-88 because the colleges started using it in 86-87. I clearly remember 85 NCAA champions Villanova SLOWLY killing Georgetown. Shot clock came in that fall. Next year was the 3 line. Indiana won the 87 championship on a 3-pointer, first time it was used in the NCAA championship game. High school followed suit after seeing the Hoosiers benefit from it.

bob jenkins Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:06am

Quote:

Originally posted by BigDave
When was the 3 pt line added to the high school game? I'm thinking 1988, but not sure.

According to the FED's Basketball Handbook, 2000-2002 edition, it was 1987

It's certainly possible, though,that certain states adopted it earlier ("experimental rule") or later

Rich Sat Jan 31, 2004 02:10am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Originally posted by BigDave

According to the FED's Basketball Handbook, 2000-2002 edition, it was 1987

It's certainly possible, though,that certain states adopted it earlier ("experimental rule") or later

It was definitely 1987. I graduated from HS in 1987, and we had a player in my class who scored 2234 points in his high school career. His freshman year of college (1987-88) and my first year of officiating brought the 3 point line to PA.

May have come in earlier on a state-adoption basis, of course.

Another question -- when did they get rid of that wacky lack of action rule where we always had to know who was winning the game?

Rich

cmathews Sat Jan 31, 2004 03:12am

Quote:

Originally posted by cmathews
BigDave, I wasn't an official at the time, so not sure, just throwing my 2 cents worth in the pot :D but I am guessing 86....looked in the handbook pg 16 in 1985 it was optional for each state, in 86 it was adopted and included...
the handbook says 86 fellas not 87

bob jenkins Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:10am

Quote:

Quote:

Upon further review, we're both right:

1986 ....adopted 19-foot 9-inch arc for three-point goal

1987 - Adopted three-point field goal; ...

Huh?

TriggerMN Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:54am

While it can be argued that Indiana beat Syracuse in 1987 with 3-pointers (Alford hit 6 or 7 during game, I believe), the winning shot was a 2-point basket from a Keith Smart baseline jumper.

cmathews Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Quote:

Upon further review, we're both right:

1986 ....adopted 19-foot 9-inch arc for three-point goal

1987 - Adopted three-point field goal; ...

Huh?

LOL I guess they wanted to bring it in slowly....first the floor markings then next year give you another point for shooting from back there LOL

Hawks Coach Sat Jan 31, 2004 01:37pm

I am guessing that use of 3 pointer was initially optional, but that the distance was fixed in 1986. So rather than say you can do whatever you want, NF said you can do 3 pointers or not - your choice - but if you use the 3, this is the distance.

dblref Sat Jan 31, 2004 03:49pm

Re: Yep, that is right.

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
It was 1986-87 Season. It was my Freshman year in high school. I remember we all tried our best to hit that shot when this rule was put in.

Peace

This is so sad! When you were a freshman, I had already had a tour of duty in the Navy (64-68) and invested 17 years in my career. I must be really old.:D

Dan_ref Sun Feb 01, 2004 05:08pm

Re: Re: Yep, that is right.

Quote:

Originally posted by dblref
Quote:

Peace

This is so sad! When you were a freshman, I had already had a tour of duty in the Navy (64-68) and invested 17 years in my career. I must be really old.:D

Hey db, I take great pleasure in the knowledge that you finished navy boot before I finished my first year in little league! :p

dblref Sun Feb 01, 2004 09:10pm

Re: Re: Re: Yep, that is right.

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Originally posted by dblref
Quote:

Peace

Hey db, I take great pleasure in the knowledge that you finished navy boot before I finished my first year in little league! :p

Cute! Some day you will be my age and some other wise-a** will poke fun at you. :D