The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

And...

And just because everyone said that the kid was the nicest kid and would never do anything like that does not mean that he didn't do it. Sometimes the hardest part about swearing isn't what is said but who or what team said it. If you are going to give it to a team make sure you are 100% sure you have the right team or to an individual make sure you are 100% sure you have the criminal and not the victim.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 03:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: And...

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
And just because everyone said that the kid was the nicest kid and would never do anything like that does not mean that he didn't do it. Sometimes the hardest part about swearing isn't what is said but who or what team said it. If you are going to give it to a team make sure you are 100% sure you have the right team or to an individual make sure you are 100% sure you have the criminal and not the victim.
I never said they could not use that language. I said that you better be sure. Because I think all of us have called a foul on a player and not only did he/she say they did not do it, but the coach agrees with them and not you. Why is this any different? Maybe it is just me, I cannot hear everything in a loud gym with fans yelling in a close proximity to the court. I want to make sure I am not "thinking" I heard something, but "know" I heard something from this specific person.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

As I mentioned earlier, the F word is automatic ejection for us per our assignor. That said, I agree with those posts indicating the need for certainty when assessing a penalty.

To me, this gives me the opportunity to use some discretion for those "under the breath" profanes (including the F bomb, for me) where I will usually say to the player something such as: "I hope you didn't say what I think you said", and give him a whince-like look to see if they get my message.

If I feel they have gotten the message, by their communication verbally or non-verbally, we go on with the game--no penalty. Overall I have had good luck using this approach.

I usually do not use this approach with players that had not heeded earlier warnings or were pushing the limits prior to the profanity.

Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

I had a college game this year where it was less than 5 point game with about 8 to 10 min left. The point guard lost the ball OOB and drop the "F" bomb as loud as possible. I gave a "T" and the coach said you can't do that in such a close game w/out a warning. My response was it doesn't matter how close the game is, and no I do not need to give a warning. That was the players 4th foul and about 30 seconds later fouled out. They lost by about 10 points. After I gave the "T" I questioned myself but later after thinking about it I would do it again.

If I am the only one who heard it and it is not directed at anybody then I will let it go w/a verbal warning but if it is heard beyond the court and it is an "F" bomb it is automatic. The other swear words get a little more flexability.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Question

Am I confussed? Did someone say that if it wasnt in there area to let it go? Soooo a player drops the f bomb and the official in that area doesnt call it for whatever reason, and it was clearly heard by you and half of the gym, you would let it go??? If so, it makes for a poor officiating team! I choose not to let myself or my partners to get disrespected by such actions.

As for CLAY I think you did the right call.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Question

What ever happened to the idea of players keeping their mouths shut. When I playied, we were told to not talk to the officials unless spoken to by the officials and the official required an answer. Then if we had any problems with an official to tell the coach and he would handle it. Too much NBA? Too much TV Basketball? Too many coaches who have forgotten or do not know that job is to teach the players about life through basketball? In grade school games, I will T a player for improperly questioning a call with out the use of profanity. Body language is very powerful! For a F**K YOU, remove him from the game. I am more forgiving in a High School game, but I have not seen that kind of behavior. A F**K YOU is an automatic ejection. Profanity and slamming the ball on the floor and not catching it is automatic T.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

RIGHT ON!!

I'll reff with you any day 'SPORTSOFFICIAL".

Seems to much summerball is being brought to the court during regular season.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

DJ David Sportsofficial

AMEN!!!