The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

I have had 2 officials tell me this month, during a throw-in at your endline, behind your your goal, you can't throw a ball in your back court, without having a violation.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 04:11pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricejock
I have had 2 officials tell me this month, during a throw-in at your endline, behind your your goal, you can't throw a ball in your back court, without having a violation.
Ricejock,
Those two officials are wrong.
There is no Team control during a throw-in, and without Team control a back court violation is not possible.
mick

Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Choose your mentors wisely.

Z
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 06:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Whenever someone tells me someone said something like this, I tell that person there's a simple explanation - they're wrong.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Those two officials are wrong.
There is no Team control during a throw-in, and without Team control a back court violation is not possible.
Under NCAA rules, there is team control during a throw-in, but there is an explicit rule that makes throw-ins as you describe legal. See 9-11.4 and 9-4.3 & 4.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 07:51pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Whenever someone tells me someone said something like this, I tell that person there's a simple explanation - they're wrong.
That reminds me of a game I did a few weeks ago.

V girls, my P calls an intentional foul. Good call. Plus the shot went in. So, we count two, I'm the new L and clear the lanes. Girl hits both free throws. Throw-in on the endline. A dribble or two and then another shooting foul. Coach wants to know, and gets a player to ask, "Why did she get two shots and the ball?"

I hear her ask this and knowing my P as well as I do, I already know what his response will be.

A split-second delay and he says: "because that's the rule." I know that he was going through some possible responses in his head and that's what he came up with.

Classic. The look on the girl's face was, after turning around to her coach, "why did you make me ask that?"
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 08:00pm
In Memoriam

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
.... after turning around to her coach, "why did you make me ask that?"
Thanks for the chuckle.
mick
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, we discussed this one on a different board and it kinda got buried. Here goes:

A1, standing at the division line for the throw-in.

A2, in the BC, runs towards the FC.

A1 passes the ball in.

A2 leaps from the BC, catches the ball, lands with one foot in the FC first, then in the BC with her second foot.

Now, before you answer, take a thorough look at rule 9-9-3.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 08:19pm

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Okay, we discussed this one on a different board and it kinda got buried. Here goes:

A1 passes the ball in.

A2 leaps from the BC, catches the ball, lands with one foot in the FC first, then in the BC with her second foot.

That is a great question. The way I read it, it is still a violation.

"A player from the team not in control. (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in)..." There is no team control on a throw-in. Because of that, A2 qualifies as a player on a team not in control of the ball. Team A does not have team control on the throw-in.

Therefore, she may legally jump from her FC, secure control of the ball while in the air, and return to the BC without penalty. "The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt."

Because this statement follows the description above, I read it applies specifically to that situation. In your example, the player did not jump from FC to BC, but went from BC to FC. Touching the ball in the air starts the clock and ends the throw-in. Landing in teh FC assigns her FC status. Subsequently placing her 2nd foot in the BC is a violation.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Because this statement follows the description above, I read it applies specifically to that situation. In your example, the player did not jump from FC to BC, but went from BC to FC. Touching the ball in the air starts the clock and ends the throw-in. Landing in teh FC assigns her FC status. Subsequently placing her 2nd foot in the BC is a violation.
Agreed.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 11:16pm
Administrator

Quote:

These officials are partially correct if they are officiating under FIBA or NBA/WNBA rules, but I have the distinct feeling they were not talking about those rules codes.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Just a newbie, but....

I'm just a caveman, but do you or do you not have to be all the way over before you can be over and back (shameless username plug), or are there any exceptions to that?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Re: Just a newbie, but....

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
I'm just a caveman, but do you or do you not have to be all the way over before you can be over and back (shameless username plug), or are there any exceptions to that?
If you have one foot in the FC, the other foot is not touching in the BC, and you are holding the ball, you are all the way over.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 07:23am

Talking Re: Just a newbie, but....

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
over and back (shameless username plug)
Are you saying that you're a violation?

A violation of what, I'm wondering.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

A1 passes the ball in.

Also look at last year's 9-9 Exception 1 (iirc).

Did the FED intend this (unannounced) change, or is it a sloppy editing job?