The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

I want to share something that happened tonight. My partner took off without a proper postgame and I want to get feedback on the proper way to handle the situation. A fellow ref was watching and said I did good in doing something about the coach but I took too long about it.

I was lead. Red is coming through the key hoping to make a layup. At one point he had both hands on the ball when a defender laid his hand on the ball momentarily. I made no call.

Red Coach: (yelling) Hey! Isn't it a jump ball when two players have their hands on the ball?

Action continues and the ball reverses and black takes it downcourt, taking me past the bench and that coach. He is in my ear, yelling, "What is a jump ball then?" He made one more comment but I don't remember it.

Red brought the ball back to its frontcourt and made a basket. I blew the ball dead and walked over to the coach. I will give you my exact words, even though I don't like what I said.

"I encourage you to read the last half of the definition of jump ball. If you have any further questions of rule interpretation, feel free to use one of your time outs and talk to me."

I know this wasn't the best so feel free to gently chastise me. Again, a fellow ref watching felt it was good I addressed the situation but agreed with my partner that I took too long.

Thanks for your help.

Rita
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rita C
I want to share something that happened tonight. My partner took off without a proper postgame and I want to get feedback on the proper way to handle the situation. A fellow ref was watching and said I did good in doing something about the coach but I took too long about it.

I was lead. Red is coming through the key hoping to make a layup. At one point he had both hands on the ball when a defender laid his hand on the ball momentarily. I made no call.

Red Coach: (yelling) Hey! Isn't it a jump ball when two players have their hands on the ball?

Action continues and the ball reverses and black takes it downcourt, taking me past the bench and that coach. He is in my ear, yelling, "What is a jump ball then?" He made one more comment but I don't remember it.

Red brought the ball back to its frontcourt and made a basket. I blew the ball dead and walked over to the coach. I will give you my exact words, even though I don't like what I said.

"I encourage you to read the last half of the definition of jump ball. If you have any further questions of rule interpretation, feel free to use one of your time outs and talk to me."

I know this wasn't the best so feel free to gently chastise me. Again, a fellow ref watching felt it was good I addressed the situation but agreed with my partner that I took too long.

Thanks for your help.

Rita
In general:

1) Don't stop the game to talk to the coach.
2) Address it early.
3) "5 words or fewer" -- "It didn't stop the release"

So, put that all together and make your comment as you run by on the way to the other end of the court.

Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

As most of us know or should admit, dealing with coaches is usually the hardest thing to learn. Learning when and how can be very tricky. The fact that you took the initiative to deal with him is a step in the right direction. As you progress you will learn how to do it without stopping the clock, and how to do it quickly and effectively... Good job in taking the first step.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Rita, I've had trouble learning to talk to coaches, too. It's not something that comes natural to me, and I've had to do a lot of work. I finally wrote out and practiced some sentences which I can use with a coach "on the way past".

She didn't have player control.
No three seconds on the shot.
Lots of contact with the body.
She took an extra step.
He had the perfect angle (about my aprtner)

...and so on. At one time I had about 12 of them written down, and I practiced them in the car. I also practiced tone of voice, and the look on my face, so that I was sure I wasn't making a situation worse. This part of it is easier now, and I think it's because I gave it some thought off the court -- like you are!
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Rita, I agree with just about everything that's been said here so far. I wouldn't stop the game to talk to the coach; I would try to have a short and sweet reply; and dealing with coaches is the hardest thing to learn (I still don't do real well with it).

But to answer one of your specific questions, I don't think you took too long to deal with the coach. Two trips down the court? Nah. First trip down, you have to expect a squawk. Second time down, you realize the coach isn't letting it go. So you deal with it. I think that was fine. Just deal with it as you go by. Keep up the good work!
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

I too agree with the advice here, but I'll add that every once in a while I will stop the game and confront a loudly barking coach. I've done this during AAU or "lower level" games when I feel the coach does not quite understand how the coach/ref game is played. As Bob said keep it short and sweet - simply walk over to him/her/it and quietly but firmly tell him you will NOT spend the rest of this game listening to him squawk. Then put the ball in play. Unorthodox approach but the few tmes I've done this it calms them down (or at least shuts them up).

BTW, it's important if you do this that you do not explain your call, this will only lead to a debate. Just tell him to shut up.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Better game?

Don't be too hard on yourself If it made for a better situation and for a better game for you as we sometimes say, "You done good!!"
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Could it be the coach went on because you did not respond.

Often times--

Coach I heard you...
Let's talk next time clock stops ( they forget 90 percent off the time)...
I saw it differently...

Sometimes tell them--
That was three plays ago, let it go.

Dont be hard on yourself, but who was in control?
The coach got you to stop the game and go talk. I am in control of the game. I talk to the coach on my terms, when I want to, where I want to. Dont give them the opportunity to think they own you, because they will want you to now stop and talk-- The other coach will too thinking you favor one.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Do not make it long.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rita C

Thanks for your help.

Rita
Tell them your ruling and get out. You do not need to give them a life story. Tell them what you ruled and walk away.