Thread: Chiding coach
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rita C
I want to share something that happened tonight. My partner took off without a proper postgame and I want to get feedback on the proper way to handle the situation. A fellow ref was watching and said I did good in doing something about the coach but I took too long about it.

I was lead. Red is coming through the key hoping to make a layup. At one point he had both hands on the ball when a defender laid his hand on the ball momentarily. I made no call.

Red Coach: (yelling) Hey! Isn't it a jump ball when two players have their hands on the ball?

Action continues and the ball reverses and black takes it downcourt, taking me past the bench and that coach. He is in my ear, yelling, "What is a jump ball then?" He made one more comment but I don't remember it.

Red brought the ball back to its frontcourt and made a basket. I blew the ball dead and walked over to the coach. I will give you my exact words, even though I don't like what I said.

"I encourage you to read the last half of the definition of jump ball. If you have any further questions of rule interpretation, feel free to use one of your time outs and talk to me."

I know this wasn't the best so feel free to gently chastise me. Again, a fellow ref watching felt it was good I addressed the situation but agreed with my partner that I took too long.

Thanks for your help.

Rita
In general:

1) Don't stop the game to talk to the coach.
2) Address it early.
3) "5 words or fewer" -- "It didn't stop the release"

So, put that all together and make your comment as you run by on the way to the other end of the court.