The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 15, 1999, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SportsPlayByPlay
First of all, Mr. Roberts, thanks for your inout. I agree with most of what you and Mark are saying, except for one itty-bitty thing. It could be just a misunderstanding, but try to clarify it for me:

OK, same scenario. In A's frontcourt, A-1's attempt to pass to A-2 is deflected into A's backcourt by B-1. Now you two say that once the ball touches the backcourt, that a new 10-second count begins?

If I am right in my understanding, my question is why not wait until Team A, for lack of a better word, REGAINS possession (even though they really never lost it), before restarting a 10-second count.

Your argument is that the rule book states that a team in control of the ball, should only have continuous control for 10 seconds max. in the backcourt.

Tell me the difference between that scenario and this one I am about to throw at you:

Let's say there is, for sake of argument, :15 left in a period. Team B, on defense is situated in Team A's frontcourt. Meanwhile A-1 is about to inbound the ball to A-2 in the backcourt. A-1's means of inbounding the ball to A-2 is "rolling" the ball along the court, so to save the little time left on the game clock. Using your rule about control of ball in backcourt, how come a 10-second count would not begin once the ball strikes the floor as it is being rolled, and NOT when A-2 gamins possessin as is usually the case.

I am sure you have something to counter my situation. Just wondering... this is a good conversation piece.

=============================
Zachary "Chunk" McCrite
Indiana High School Officials
Old Mon Nov 15, 1999, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

OK, same scenario. In A's frontcourt, A-1's attempt to pass to A-2 is deflected into A's backcourt by B-1. Now you two say that once the ball touches the backcourt, that a new 10-second count begins?

Correct.

If I am right in my understanding, my question is why not wait until Team A, for lack of a better word, REGAINS possession (even though they really never lost it), before restarting a 10-second count.

For better or for worse, the Rules, as written, have us start the count as soon as there is team control in the backcourt, not player control.

Tell me the difference between that scenario and this one I am about to throw at you:...Meanwhile A-1 is about to inbound the ball...

There is no team control during an inbound pass, thus no ten-second count.

Similarly, if A1 in-bounds the ball from their frontcourt, the ball is touched, but not controlled, by A2 in the frontcourt causing the ball to bounce into the backcourt, Team A can still go recover the ball in the backcourt without violating. Why? Because they didn't have team control...
Old Mon Nov 15, 1999, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SportsPlayByPlay
Looking at all the findings, here is what I believe to be the right call:

The question reads:
A-1 in his frontcourt and closely guarded by B-1, attempts a pass to his teammate near the division line. A-1's pass is deflected by B-1 and takes a high bounce
toward the backcourt. A-2 runs into the backcourt and catches the ball before it strikes the floor in the backcourt. Official rules this a backcourt violation. Is the
official correct?

Yes. Team A never lost team control of the ball, and therefore would be assessed a backcourt violation.

Given the same scenario above, here is my definition of team control:
When B-1 deflects the ball, it is correct to say that Team A maintains team control UNTIL the ball falls into the backcourt.

I believe that team control is lost when a deflection by B-1 causes A-1 to return to the backcourt to recover it. once recovered by A-1, then Team A REGAINS Team Control and at that time, a new 10-second count will begin.

I officiate Indiana High School Basketball (a crazy high school basketball world to say the least), and I have seen this scenario happen on more than one occasion and I have ALWAYS began my count when Team A regains posession. But I could be wrong, that's why I am here. What do you all think?

=============================
Zachary "Chunk" McCrite
Indiana High School Officials
Old Mon Nov 15, 1999, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by SportsPlayByPlay on 11-15-1999 05:08 PM
I believe that team control is lost when a deflection by B-1 causes A-1 to return to the backcourt to recover it. once recovered by A-1, then Team A REGAINS Team Control and at that time, a new 10-second count will begin.

Team control is a very clearly defined element of the rules. A team remains in control until 1 of 3 things happens.

1) The ball is release on a try
2) The ball becomes dead
3) The opponent gains control

No matter where a bat goes (inbounds), team control continues until one of these three specific things happens.
Old Tue Nov 16, 1999, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

[quote]Originally posted by SportsPlayByPlay on 11-15-1999 05:08 PM
Looking at all the findings, here is what I believe to be the right call:

The question reads:
A-1 in his frontcourt and closely guarded by B-1, attempts a pass to his teammate near the division line. A-1's pass is deflected by B-1 and takes a high bounce
toward the backcourt. A-2 runs into the backcourt and catches the ball before it strikes the floor in the backcourt. Official rules this a backcourt violation. Is the
official correct?

Yes. Team A never lost team control of the ball, and therefore would be assessed a backcourt violation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zachary --

Team control is only one of the four elements required for a backcourt violation. The others are:

2) Ball in ront court (yes, we had that)
3) Last to touch in front court (no, we didn't have that -- B was the last to touch).
4) First to touch in back court (yes, we had that).

All four must apply. Since they didn't (number three was not true), there was no violation. The official was wrong.
Old Tue Nov 16, 1999, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Since the ball still had frontcourt status wouldn't the catching by A1 cause A1 to be the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt and the first to touch the ball in the backcourt? I still think it is a backcourt violation.
Old Tue Nov 16, 1999, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Joel Poli on 11-16-1999 03:31 PM
Since the ball still had frontcourt status wouldn't the catching by A1 cause A1 to be the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt and the first to touch the ball in the backcourt? I still think it is a backcourt violation.

No. Because A1 was not in the frontcourt. If you look more closely at the wording of the rule it may become more clear:

"A player shall not be the first to touch a ball which is in team control after it has been in the frontcourt, if he or she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt."

Given the emphasis that I have added, it should be clear the items have a specific order. A player or team can not be considered to be the last to touch in the frontcourt and the first to touch in the backcourt on the same contact.

[This message has been edited by Camron Rust (edited November 16, 1999).]