View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 15, 1999, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SportsPlayByPlay
Looking at all the findings, here is what I believe to be the right call:

The question reads:
A-1 in his frontcourt and closely guarded by B-1, attempts a pass to his teammate near the division line. A-1's pass is deflected by B-1 and takes a high bounce
toward the backcourt. A-2 runs into the backcourt and catches the ball before it strikes the floor in the backcourt. Official rules this a backcourt violation. Is the
official correct?

Yes. Team A never lost team control of the ball, and therefore would be assessed a backcourt violation.

Given the same scenario above, here is my definition of team control:
When B-1 deflects the ball, it is correct to say that Team A maintains team control UNTIL the ball falls into the backcourt.

I believe that team control is lost when a deflection by B-1 causes A-1 to return to the backcourt to recover it. once recovered by A-1, then Team A REGAINS Team Control and at that time, a new 10-second count will begin.

I officiate Indiana High School Basketball (a crazy high school basketball world to say the least), and I have seen this scenario happen on more than one occasion and I have ALWAYS began my count when Team A regains posession. But I could be wrong, that's why I am here. What do you all think?

=============================
Zachary "Chunk" McCrite
Indiana High School Officials