View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 15, 1999, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SportsPlayByPlay
First of all, Mr. Roberts, thanks for your inout. I agree with most of what you and Mark are saying, except for one itty-bitty thing. It could be just a misunderstanding, but try to clarify it for me:

OK, same scenario. In A's frontcourt, A-1's attempt to pass to A-2 is deflected into A's backcourt by B-1. Now you two say that once the ball touches the backcourt, that a new 10-second count begins?

If I am right in my understanding, my question is why not wait until Team A, for lack of a better word, REGAINS possession (even though they really never lost it), before restarting a 10-second count.

Your argument is that the rule book states that a team in control of the ball, should only have continuous control for 10 seconds max. in the backcourt.

Tell me the difference between that scenario and this one I am about to throw at you:

Let's say there is, for sake of argument, :15 left in a period. Team B, on defense is situated in Team A's frontcourt. Meanwhile A-1 is about to inbound the ball to A-2 in the backcourt. A-1's means of inbounding the ball to A-2 is "rolling" the ball along the court, so to save the little time left on the game clock. Using your rule about control of ball in backcourt, how come a 10-second count would not begin once the ball strikes the floor as it is being rolled, and NOT when A-2 gamins possessin as is usually the case.

I am sure you have something to counter my situation. Just wondering... this is a good conversation piece.

=============================
Zachary "Chunk" McCrite
Indiana High School Officials