The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I know we have had a heated discussion here on wheter or not to stop play to fix a hung net after a basket. I noticed last night in the Oklahoma T Tech game last night play was stopped to do this T tech had already inbounded the ball and was advancing to towards the front court when the new trail blew it dead and fixed the net. T Tech was then given the ball back on the baseline with the opertunity to run (oklahoma was pressing). Just wondering if anyone has seen an NCAA bulletin on this or what thoughts are.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref
Just wondering if anyone has seen an NCAA bulletin on this
No.

Quote:
or what thoughts are.
Stopping play (especially during pressing situations) to fix the net is flat-out stupid. Unless he is in real tight with the assignor, I think he probably got an earful.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Smile Explain

Chuck, you don't think an evaluator would rip him for this do you? I think they might talk about when to blow the whistle to fix the net but and earfull? The purpose of evaluation is not to berate people but to improve their lot!! Are you an evaluator? Coaches and fans rip officials but I hope not an evaluator!!
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

I don't remember the officials names offhand, but I have seen them working many times in big TV games before. It seems hard to believe to me that they would make a gaff like this unless told SPECIFICALLY to stop play to uncheck a net in cases in which it is hung up.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

DJ, at the D1 and professional levels, it's very hard to get there. But it's harder to stay there. Assignors at these levels (and I only know a few personally) are not particularly tactful. If you screw up one of "their" games, they don't take it very well, and they will let you know in no uncertain terms.

I never said he'd get "ripped" by the assignor; I said he's get an earful. They may not "rip" the official -- as in make personal comments -- but they do not sugar-coat what you messed up.

Dan can probably confirm this story about a D1 assignor. The assignor went to a league game to observe his three officials. One of the officials did not have a very neat appearance. Among other things, his shirt was noticibly old. After the game, the assignor went in to the officials' locker room. He took the shirt out of that official's bag and threw it in the trash. His only comment to the official was "Now go buy a new [bleepin] shirt." The official was not invited back to the conference the following season.

The point is that if you do something stupid in a D1 game, the assignor will find out and call you on it. And the experience is not likely to be pleasant.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

At what point do you fix the net? I really don't see the harm in doing it as it was done, and I know someon will enlighten me. I guess I would have a hard time stopping play in a pressing situation if the ball was allready inbounds.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Shouldn't the real "blame" go to the "old" trail that didn't catch it and blow it dead?

Chuck, how can you say that stopping play for a stuck net is flat-out stupid?

A goal cannot count unless the ball goes completely through the hoop. If B1 steals the ball and the stuck next "blocks" his shot, don't we have an even bigger mess than if we stop play to fix it?

Z
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

To clarify the situation, it was not an all out pressure on the throw in press. There were defensive players in the back court, as well as the ball clearly being inbounded before the whistle was blown.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I am missing something. I would stop play as soon as I notice it. Yes, I would use common sense, if we are in the middle of a possible trap or tie up, then I would wait. But, Just because we have a press, all the more reason to fix the net.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
If B1 steals the ball and the stuck next "blocks" his shot, don't we have an even bigger mess than if we stop play to fix it?
How many times does this happen? When is the last time you actually saw a shot that was prevented from entering the basket by a flipped net?

In 25 years of playing, coaching and officiating, I've seen it exactly one time. And that was during a practice when my teammate intentionally flipped it and pulled as tight as he could.

In the normal course of play, this never happens. Don't stop the game. When you get a clock stoppage, if you feel compelled, then go ahead and get it down. There is no reason to stop the clock to "fix" the net.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Dan can probably confirm this story about a D1 assignor. The assignor went to a league game to observe his three officials. One of the officials did not have a very neat appearance. Among other things, his shirt was noticibly old. After the game, the assignor went in to the officials' locker room. He took the shirt out of that official's bag and threw it in the trash. His only comment to the official was "Now go buy a new [bleepin] shirt." The official was not invited back to the conference the following season.

He probaly could confirm it.

Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When is the last time you actually saw a shot that was prevented from entering the basket by a flipped net?
Never, because I've always stopped play to get it fixed right away when I'm trail. In pre-game warm-ups, I've seen the net get stuck a few times and the shots taken after that are almost always prevented from going through the cylinder by the stuck net.

Z
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I've seen the net get stuck a few times and the shots taken after that are almost always prevented from going through the cylinder by the stuck net.
Z, I'm not doubting your veracity. If you say it happened, then I believe it. But I am having a hard time reconciling how our experiences can be so diametrically opposed. I've seen it literally once in 25 years, and you see it several times in warm-ups? Hard to figure.

My position is the same. Fix it at the next clock stoppage. Don't interrupt the game to do it. JMO.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 02:00pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

He probaly could confirm it.

So how much did that new jersey cost you, Dan???
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But I am having a hard time reconciling how our experiences can be so diametrically opposed. I've seen it literally once in 25 years, and you see it several times in warm-ups? Hard to figure. My position is the same. Fix it at the next clock stoppage. Don't interrupt the game to do it. JMO.
I agree, hard to figure. While I haven't had it happen in a game this year, I had it happen a couple times last year in a game. Usually on a long three-pointer that rips nothing but cord. Maybe our schools use cheaper nets than the schools you work. ?? In my girls game last Friday night, the net got stuck during warm-ups. I remember well because one of the girls asked me to jump up and get it down. I just laughed and said, "yeah right, maybe 5 years ago but not now!"

Out of curiousity, in that one game that you had it happen... what was the result? What happened the next time the team shot at the stuck net? Did the ball just go through and no problem?

Z