The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Question

Situation 1: player goes after poor pass and ends up with one knee and the other foot on the floor as he gains possession. Player then stands up (not moving the one foot) and dribbles away. Is this a travel?

Situation 2: player goes after loose ball and ends sitting on the floor. Player then gets up, perhaps keeping one foot in contact with floor (I couldn't tell from my position) and passes to teammate. Is this a travel?
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CYO Butch
Situation 1: player goes after poor pass and ends up with one knee and the other foot on the floor as he gains possession. Player then stands up (not moving the one foot) and dribbles away. Is this a travel?

Situation 2: player goes after loose ball and ends sitting on the floor. Player then gets up, perhaps keeping one foot in contact with floor (I couldn't tell from my position) and passes to teammate. Is this a travel?
Yes in both cases
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 09:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Yes in both cases
Is there a slight modification in NCAA regarding one knee?
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The player cannot lift their pivot cheek
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

When is getting up a travel?

NFHS
I think the answer to this question is "Always."
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c

NFHS
I think the answer to this question is "Always."
Nah! You can get up if you pass the ball or start a dribble first.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

In situation 1, could you not argue that the foot on the floor is the pivot foot?
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
In situation 1, could you not argue that the foot on the floor is the pivot foot?
Sure, you could argue that. It's still traveling (by interp).

NCAA: Falling to the floor is travelling only if the pivot foot moves. Getting up is travelling.

FED: Falling to the floor or getting up is travelling.

Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
Sure, you could argue that. It's still traveling (by interp).

NCAA: Falling to the floor is travelling only if the pivot foot moves. Getting up is travelling.

FED: Falling to the floor or getting up is travelling.

Thanks
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS
I think the answer to this question is "Always." [/QUOTE]
Nah! You can get up if you pass the ball or start a dribble first.
[/QUOTE]
I'll agree with the dribbling part (of course). However, the player would have to pass the ball BEFORE he got up (or started to get up) without committing a travel violation. So, I change my answer to "Always, unless the player starts or continues his dribble while getting up."
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
However, the player would have to pass the ball BEFORE he got up (or started to get up) without committing a travel violation.
That's what I said. "You can get up if you pass the ball...first."
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Never Agreed!

I never liked this interpetation when they put this in a few years back. We are to use our good judgement and rule on tons of situations during a game but we can't seem to rule on if a player has a legitimate pivot foot on the way down or the way up. I just hate it when I have to call a violation for traveling when I see a good pivot and cannot reward good play. A rule is a rule, I guess and until we are told otherwise it is a travel. On the other hand being the hypocrit that I am, I do take the liberty of loosely interpeting the traveling rule so when kids dive for balls and slide on their bellies I call it good hustle. Most coaches love floor burns and will agree with this no call when they ask you about this interpetation even though the rule book says.....!
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Re: Never Agreed!

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
I never liked this interpetation when they put this in a few years back. We are to use our good judgement and rule on tons of situations during a game but we can't seem to rule on if a player has a legitimate pivot foot on the way down or the way up. I just hate it when I have to call a violation for traveling when I see a good pivot and cannot reward good play. A rule is a rule, I guess and until we are told otherwise it is a travel. On the other hand being the hypocrit that I am, I do take the liberty of loosely interpeting the traveling rule so when kids dive for balls and slide on their bellies I call it good hustle. Most coaches love floor burns and will agree with this no call when they ask you about this interpetation even though the rule book says.....!
I never agreed either, but I hate it more when some officials call things and others do not.

Our officials last night called the floor burn travel, but not the getting up ones. They two were the weakest pair I've seen since rec ball county employees . In addition to the two travel examples I posted, they called a back court violation on an inbounds pass that was tipped on its way back court then recovered (there was never any player control), there was an inadvertant whistle from the official on the west sideline which sounded 1/2 second (or less) before a whistle for a foul on the east sideline (negating the foul), two instances of starting to give the ball to the wrong team after fouls (the players from both teams corrected them each time), but only one foul when no contact occurred. In general, I've been really impressed with our officials with the exception of one guy who doesn't even try to get into postion, but I've never seen such poor rules knowledge as these two gentlemen. One of them was a rookie (the inadvertant whistle guy) but the other one clearly was not. It didn't change the outcome of the game in any way, but it does get a little frustrating. And I still know they did a better job than I could on everything else that happened during the game.
End of Rant.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Plan A,B or C

Plan A They will improve and move up in the ranks.

Plan B They will not improve and get out of officiating.

Plan C They will not improve and not move up in the ranks.

We all control our own destiny!!
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

There is no such thing as a "floor burn" travel. If a player dives for a loose ball and gains possession and in the process slides 82 feet down the floor.... this is not a travel. By rule the player has not established a pivot foot and therefore can not travel. Therefore you are not overlooking the travel rule by not calling one when a player dives on a loose ball.

On the other hand.... If the player has the ball on the floor and gets up, as stated by previous posters this is always a travel.