View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Re: Never Agreed!

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
I never liked this interpetation when they put this in a few years back. We are to use our good judgement and rule on tons of situations during a game but we can't seem to rule on if a player has a legitimate pivot foot on the way down or the way up. I just hate it when I have to call a violation for traveling when I see a good pivot and cannot reward good play. A rule is a rule, I guess and until we are told otherwise it is a travel. On the other hand being the hypocrit that I am, I do take the liberty of loosely interpeting the traveling rule so when kids dive for balls and slide on their bellies I call it good hustle. Most coaches love floor burns and will agree with this no call when they ask you about this interpetation even though the rule book says.....!
I never agreed either, but I hate it more when some officials call things and others do not.

Our officials last night called the floor burn travel, but not the getting up ones. They two were the weakest pair I've seen since rec ball county employees . In addition to the two travel examples I posted, they called a back court violation on an inbounds pass that was tipped on its way back court then recovered (there was never any player control), there was an inadvertant whistle from the official on the west sideline which sounded 1/2 second (or less) before a whistle for a foul on the east sideline (negating the foul), two instances of starting to give the ball to the wrong team after fouls (the players from both teams corrected them each time), but only one foul when no contact occurred. In general, I've been really impressed with our officials with the exception of one guy who doesn't even try to get into postion, but I've never seen such poor rules knowledge as these two gentlemen. One of them was a rookie (the inadvertant whistle guy) but the other one clearly was not. It didn't change the outcome of the game in any way, but it does get a little frustrating. And I still know they did a better job than I could on everything else that happened during the game.
End of Rant.