The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thursday night girls varsity game: Team A has two sisters who are the guards. They look almost the same except one is #13 and the other is #23. Team B is bringing the ball up in backcourt against pressure and team A steals the ball and puts up a shot. Team A rebounds and gets fouled. I report the foul and when I was going to position as lead to administer the free throws, team B calls time-out. I administer the time out and tell partner that when we resume play #23 will be shooting two free throws.
Now the fun starts. After the time-out #13 steps to the line and being half brain-dead, I pass her the ball and say two shots. She makes the first free throw. I then step in the lane and ask my partner if we have the right shooter. I decide that our shooter should be #23. I reported the correctable error to the table, wipe off the point, and said that #23 would be shooting two shots.
Team B coach asks me if this was a violation. I said that no, we have a correctable error for granting an unmerited free throw. I said if I thought the player intentionally tried to take the free throw that it would be a technical foul.
Well, player #13 is pleading with me and my partner that she was indeed the player who was fouled. I decided that we had to go with what I had going in to the time out. I didn't hear from the bench of team A which was surprising.
I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them and how did you handle it? Would anyone have just let #13 shoot the free throws? Usually, the right person goes to the line, but there is that one time......
I just felt that I had to stick to my guns because we have been talking alot about not losing the shooters during time-outs or for one & one bonus situations.
Sorry for the long winded description, but it was kind of a weird situation.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Solution

Exactly why I keep a can of orange spray paint handy. Call the foul, mark the shooter! Of course, that method loses effectiveness by the end of the fourth quarter. . . .
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Obviously if you would use different colors of spray paint for each quarter you would solve that problem.
In relation to the issue, never loose your shooter particualrly if they look alike. Some of us use the fraction method. The other night I reported the foul and the coaches all told me I had it completly wrong. I knew I was right but had to chuckle when they told me it was such and such a player. i thought the two players would look similar. When I turned to look, this other player was different skin color, different height and much heavier.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[i]
Team B coach asks me if this was a violation. I said that no, we have a correctable error for granting an unmerited free throw. I said if I thought the player intentionally tried to take the free throw that it would be a technical foul.
Well, player #13 is pleading with me and my partner that she was indeed the player who was fouled. [/B]
With her pleading, could you then say this is intentional?
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Bart,

I'm still not sure if I got the right shooter!! But since I notified my partner that #23 would shoot prior to the time out I felt we had to go with it. I suppose if they send me the game tape, I'll find out I was wrong.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

I was just throwing the question out. I think you did the right thing. I've been there, done that.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I got caught where team A made the "and 1" free throw. One of team A players took the ball out and threw the ball inbounds to her teammate who put up a shot and scored. I felt like something was wrong but could not put my finger on it until the team B coach hollered. I took the points off the board and "restarted" with team B taking the ball out. My partner did not even realize it as he thought the ball had been stolen.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
I got caught where team A made the "and 1" free throw. One of team A players took the ball out and threw the ball inbounds to her teammate who put up a shot and scored. I felt like something was wrong but could not put my finger on it until the team B coach hollered. I took the points off the board and "restarted" with team B taking the ball out. My partner did not even realize it as he thought the ball had been stolen.
Did you put time back on the clock?

Was it intentional? Did you give A a T?

See 10.1.8 (iirc)
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

I've found that, even though it takes a little more time, its best to acknowledge to the coach or player that you see their time out request and then let the players line up for the free throw before granting the time out.
That way: you, your partner(s), and everybody else in the gym knows who is at the line.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cardinalfan
I've found that, even though it takes a little more time, its best to acknowledge to the coach or player that you see their time out request and then let the players line up for the free throw before granting the time out.
That way: you, your partner(s), and everybody else in the gym knows who is at the line.
I very seldom see the players continue to line up after hearing the coach yell for a TO. SOoooo the first thing is to turn and communicate to you partners who the shooter is and then report the TO. And I'm not going to call the players back to line up.