View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thursday night girls varsity game: Team A has two sisters who are the guards. They look almost the same except one is #13 and the other is #23. Team B is bringing the ball up in backcourt against pressure and team A steals the ball and puts up a shot. Team A rebounds and gets fouled. I report the foul and when I was going to position as lead to administer the free throws, team B calls time-out. I administer the time out and tell partner that when we resume play #23 will be shooting two free throws.
Now the fun starts. After the time-out #13 steps to the line and being half brain-dead, I pass her the ball and say two shots. She makes the first free throw. I then step in the lane and ask my partner if we have the right shooter. I decide that our shooter should be #23. I reported the correctable error to the table, wipe off the point, and said that #23 would be shooting two shots.
Team B coach asks me if this was a violation. I said that no, we have a correctable error for granting an unmerited free throw. I said if I thought the player intentionally tried to take the free throw that it would be a technical foul.
Well, player #13 is pleading with me and my partner that she was indeed the player who was fouled. I decided that we had to go with what I had going in to the time out. I didn't hear from the bench of team A which was surprising.
I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them and how did you handle it? Would anyone have just let #13 shoot the free throws? Usually, the right person goes to the line, but there is that one time......
I just felt that I had to stick to my guns because we have been talking alot about not losing the shooters during time-outs or for one & one bonus situations.
Sorry for the long winded description, but it was kind of a weird situation.