The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI
I'm surprised, though, that a good official like BktBallRef went along with the people who blindly recommended calling an intentional foul every time the bench was yelling, "Foul!" Ignoring 40+ years of accepted practice at all levels of the game usually will get you into trouble.
I didn't ignore anything, Stan. Our state officiating director stood before us, covered the POE, and told us that's how it would be called in NC.

Who am I to ignore him?

I was I to know that I was one of the few he wouldn't?
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I didn't ignore anything, Stan. Our state officiating director stood before us, covered the POE, and told us that's how it would be called in NC.

Who am I to ignore him?

I was I to know that I was one of the few he wouldn't?
Just giving you a little crap. We got the same POE talk at our state rules meeting. The POE makes a lot of sense - intentionally breaking the rules should not be advantageous. But even a blind man could see that POE was a radical departure from years of accepted practice by officials and coaches.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

I have found a lot of value from this board. There are a couple of things that have helped or added value.
1-It is a great way to study the rules, as I try to look up each question and get my own answer before I read other answers and views. This is more interesting than just reading the book.
2-It makes me think and it forces me to make decisions. Many issues and questions are brought up here with no lack of rules, opinions and experience provided. I am not too worried about majority or minority on an issue, but use these threads to continue to fine tune my style and philsophy. I examine, study, ask local mentors and then decide how I will handle each situation or enforce the rule.
3-I enjoy the passion and emotion, that some officials bring to the board. While some may find it annoying, I like the fact that so many care about the game, the rules and officiatng.
4=It is an interesting way to find others with this common interest, learn of other ways to do things, e.g., associations, evaluators, getting games, etc.
5=And the list goes on. It is an aidm and only an aid, for me. Nothing has gotten me in trouble but as I mentioned I try to use my mentors here before trying thingds.
My appreciaton to those that reply to me, the patience in answering my questions and for the info I get.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Smile Excellent

I live in a very rural area and 85% of my games are worked with the same partner. We have no association or contact with other officials except for an occasional game. I just joined this forum and I think it is an excellent way for officials of all abilities to gain knowledge to become a better official. Like all walks of life, we meet a lot of different kinds of people and some people are really into their egoes. Any official that would not recommend this web site to another official is on an ego trip and arrogant and needs an attitude adjustment. Keep up the good work!! Good luck to all the young officials that are trying to improve their lot. This is one of many sources of information that it takes to "be all that you can be!"