The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Question

Several recent threads have addressed the question of "Do you Call it?". These are in regard to various rules including 3 seconds amongst others.

My question is if it's in the book, why wouldn't you call it? Perhaps a "little" leeway for pre-junior high leagues, but even there a rule is a rule and the sooner the players learn to play within the rules the better.

Plain and simple, a player cannot shuffle his feet before shooting; a player cannot spend 12 seconds at the free throw line before attempting his free throw; a player cannot spend 5 seconds in the lane, even if he/she is not involved in the play.

Many calls we make are judgement calls, but when did it become the officials choice to determine if a rule is "important enough" to deem our enforcing it.

Grail
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
I agree. Rules are there for a reason and that reason is to ensure that the contest is played fairly with no team able to obtain an advantage. Officials are like judges in a courtroom...the outcome of the game (or trial) is unimportant. The only concern should be that both teams have an equal opportunity to prevail in a fairly contested game. If we don't enforce the rules, then we might as well not be there. We can stay home and let a parent or another player work the whistle.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Smile Right or wrong?

The game has evolved and the rule interpetations have evolved with the game. The rules are interpeted differently at various levels and in different regions. If you call 3 sec. at the college level you will not work, at the high school level you may or may not work depending on the level of play or local interpetation of the rules and if you call it at the lower levels you will probably have plenty of work. It is important that your refereeing style is appropriate for your level of play and the local interpetation of the rules. That's what makes this forum so great in that it covers all levels of play and many regions of the country so we can find out what others are doing. Learn what is accepted in your area and your level of play and you will be in demand and a tribute to your profession.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Taking the following posts into consideration, I have a philosophy on the violations mentioned. Did they have an impact on a play? Ask yourself did someone just standing at the elbow with a pikey toe in the paint warrtant a violation?

I'll even do you one better. Saw a guy I officiate with in a regional final once. Player is bringing the ball up the floor with NO DEFENSIVE PRESSURE and just as the player was about a foot from the division line, you here TTTWWEETTTT 10 seconds. Did that call fit? I think not. Granted, the rules are there for a reason, but most are written to take distinct advantages away from players. Calling that violation had no place in that game. Even when I do HS game, you may see my arm moving, but if there is no pressure, I probably ain't counting!

So next time you feel a player has been in the paint too long (ie campfire is roaring, weinnies are on the stick and the tent stakes are in the ground), look to see what impact it would have on a play. Also, nothing wrong with calling one early so as to set tempo (if it is warranted).
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I like the idea of setting the 'tempo.'

I was doing a HS girls JV game last week. The play was ragged and sometimes rough, mainly because they were trying to press and, as often happens, the players aren't capable of doing it well because of a lack of quickness and body control so they end up with lots of hacking, blocking fouls, etc. We had LOTS of fouls in the first half.

We talked about it at half-time and decided to set the tempo when the 2nd half started. The first time there was any contact on moving the ball up the floor, I called a 'ticky tack' foul. There was a mild protest from the bench but the message was sent. It was a cleaner game after we sent the message. The players backed off and we had very little contact the second half. Of course, some teams never get the message.

As for the 3-second call, I call it unless the player is making a move to get out when I am at 3. Again, once it is called, they don't do it nearly as much. And, traveling is traveling, although I make exceptions sometimes at lower levels. Let's be reasonable.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Traveling? Is that where the player takes one too many steps? Snickersnicker
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Being from a very rural area up here in NH i still do lots of elementary school games. Clearly at this level one has to be a bit carefull of the calls made. We are lucky up here and most coaches understand. We do alot of "coaching" as refs at this level. Not true at all when i am doing HS games but really tru and fun at the lwoer levels.