Thread: Do You Call It?
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Taking the following posts into consideration, I have a philosophy on the violations mentioned. Did they have an impact on a play? Ask yourself did someone just standing at the elbow with a pikey toe in the paint warrtant a violation?

I'll even do you one better. Saw a guy I officiate with in a regional final once. Player is bringing the ball up the floor with NO DEFENSIVE PRESSURE and just as the player was about a foot from the division line, you here TTTWWEETTTT 10 seconds. Did that call fit? I think not. Granted, the rules are there for a reason, but most are written to take distinct advantages away from players. Calling that violation had no place in that game. Even when I do HS game, you may see my arm moving, but if there is no pressure, I probably ain't counting!

So next time you feel a player has been in the paint too long (ie campfire is roaring, weinnies are on the stick and the tent stakes are in the ground), look to see what impact it would have on a play. Also, nothing wrong with calling one early so as to set tempo (if it is warranted).