The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Gentleman (and lady),
I have enjoyed reading your emails for the past few weeks so much that I have officially decided to join instead of being a bystander . I just stumbled onto this site when I "asked Jeeves" for a basketball officials site so I might purchase a shirt for the upcoming season and lo and behold look what I came up with . I have been officiating for 13 years now doing various Mens leagues and 8th Grade boys Rec games but I have never made the leap to become certified mainly because I didn't need to considering the caliber of ball I have been doing . My job also does not allow me the flexibility to do High School (and possibly college ball) as I would eventuallly like to do so I get my fix doing what I can on the weekends , ergo my UserName .
I have two questions I was hoping somebody might be able to help me with :
1) is it possible to get certified this late in the year in Connecticut or is the test administered only once a year .
2)A question that I am sure has been asked but it came up last night and I am not sure if I got it right (I sheepishly admit I don't own a rulebook). Team A inbounds the ball under their basket...and while passing the ball in he delivers a bounce pass that bounces out of bounds before being caught by his teamate (Teamate of course puts it in the hoop for a basket). Is this a violation ???? Not really sure if I got it right but I did "sell" it well enough to mollify the coach .
Thanks ,
WeekendRef
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

#1- WinterWillie is from CT. Perhaps he'll see this thread and post. My guess is that it's too late for this year.

#2- If the throw-in touches OOB, it's a violation.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 05:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

A throw-in must go directly in bounds. Hitting out of bounds first does not qualify. Violation.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Being in the military, I often moved. What I have found is that it is never too late to apply for a license. The state licensing association has always accepted my applications. However, you usually won't qualify to move up in classification due to not completing various requirements (enough varsity games, attend rules meeting, etc.). It will get you a rule book and a test. I don't know about Conn, but this has been my experience in AZ, SD, and WI.

Mregor
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Cool Re:

I'm on Board # 31 in Western Massachusetts.

I found out from a friend of mine that it is too late to be certified in Connecticut. They administered the test once a year in November. I'm not sure who is in charge but I can find out for you.

And yes the situation is a violation.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

"Throw-in must go directly in bounds. Hitting out of bounds first does not qualify. Violation"

How about after a made basket? Can the in-bounding team member A1 bounce the ball OOB to A2 who is also OOB, then A2 passes the ball in-bounds?

Can A1 bounce ball so that it touches OOB, then to A2 who is standing on the playing court to receive the bounce pass?

Thanks.

Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carldog
"Throw-in must go directly in bounds. Hitting out of bounds first does not qualify. Violation"

How about after a made basket? Can the in-bounding team member A1 bounce the ball OOB to A2 who is also OOB, then A2 passes the ball in-bounds?
Yes -- that's not a throw-in

Quote:
Can A1 bounce ball so that it touches OOB, then to A2 who is standing on the playing court to receive the bounce pass?

Thanks.
No (well, not legally) -- that is a throw-in.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WeekendRef
Gentleman (and lady),
I have enjoyed reading your emails for the past few weeks so much that I have officially decided to join instead of being a bystander . I just stumbled onto this site when I "asked Jeeves" for a basketball officials site so I might purchase a shirt for the upcoming season and lo and behold look what I came up with . I have been officiating for 13 years now doing various Mens leagues and 8th Grade boys Rec games but I have never made the leap to become certified mainly because I didn't need to considering the caliber of ball I have been doing . My job also does not allow me the flexibility to do High School (and possibly college ball) as I would eventuallly like to do so I get my fix doing what I can on the weekends , ergo my UserName .
I have two questions I was hoping somebody might be able to help me with :
1) is it possible to get certified this late in the year in Connecticut or is the test administered only once a year .
2)A question that I am sure has been asked but it came up last night and I am not sure if I got it right (I sheepishly admit I don't own a rulebook). Team A inbounds the ball under their basket...and while passing the ball in he delivers a bounce pass that bounces out of bounds before being caught by his teamate (Teamate of course puts it in the hoop for a basket). Is this a violation ???? Not really sure if I got it right but I did "sell" it well enough to mollify the coach .
Thanks ,
WeekendRef
In all the responses to your questions, we seem to have forgotten to say 'welcome' aboard. So, welcome aboard!Look forward to hearing more from you.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to all for your responses (BChill if you can get me a contact person in CT Fairfield County that would be great . I got hooked on reffing by watching my mother do college ball when I was a toddler and then as I got older watching my Uncle work all the big High School games in Westchester County (He just retired two years ago and they even had a writeup in the paper about his retirement)as he was by all accounts one of the best around...
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Weekend Ref

WeekendRef

Go to your local school and ask if they have any extra rule books. Also, the officials manual, casebook and simplified/illustrated if they have them. They should have one (coaches don't use them much, ) Or, go the NFHSA site and order them. http://www.nfhs.org Or, your state High School Association. Or your local officials association.

Also, check with your local officials association as to how to join them and how to get registered with the state. They will be glad to help you.

At any level, you should have a basic knowledge of the rules. It saves wear and tear on your hide.

Then, next year, get registered! You'll feel more confident regardless of what level you do.