Thread: Do You Call It?
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I like the idea of setting the 'tempo.'

I was doing a HS girls JV game last week. The play was ragged and sometimes rough, mainly because they were trying to press and, as often happens, the players aren't capable of doing it well because of a lack of quickness and body control so they end up with lots of hacking, blocking fouls, etc. We had LOTS of fouls in the first half.

We talked about it at half-time and decided to set the tempo when the 2nd half started. The first time there was any contact on moving the ball up the floor, I called a 'ticky tack' foul. There was a mild protest from the bench but the message was sent. It was a cleaner game after we sent the message. The players backed off and we had very little contact the second half. Of course, some teams never get the message.

As for the 3-second call, I call it unless the player is making a move to get out when I am at 3. Again, once it is called, they don't do it nearly as much. And, traveling is traveling, although I make exceptions sometimes at lower levels. Let's be reasonable.